Monday, July 21, 2014

Planning time, planning time! Open the books and see what's inside!

Yeah, I'm quoting my Blue Clues again! This is what happens when your kids get old. You start reliving their childhoods with their old favorites!

So this weekend, I started my planning - with a little over 2 weeks until the first day of school, I figured it was time to get on the ball!

My "work space" - aka, the kitchen table!
I am pleasantly surprised to find that most of our materials for this coming year really don't require much planning/scheduling on my part. They do, however, require a lot of time from me actually preparing the lessons. Since I'm going to be spending so much time sitting and waiting at Riley's new dance studio (or the nearby library!), I will be able to use my time productively. Which is good!

The first 2 months of school will be the most challenging because I'm still training for my Half Ironman - actually, I'll be in the peak of training! I'm going to have to schedule the most intensive things for my rest days, which will mean a little bit of juggling around. I haven't scheduled any races for myself (aside from the free Turkey Trot) after the HIM until I see how much time I will have for training.

Since this is Austin's Senior Year, we're finishing up our chronological history study with the 20th century. I'm really looking forward to this time period because it's my husband's favorite! I hope he will share his vast knowledge with the kids, as well as his love of the movies and mini-series that highlight the major wars and events during that time.

I have several goals for myself this year:

1. Do a better job with narrations. This means staying on top of the kids' reading.

2. Do more discussing in general with Riley. She told me at the end of last year that she doesn't enjoy just going off and reading and narrating. She wants me to 'teach' her - which goes against the CM philosophy. But I think what Riley means by 'teaching' is more of a discussion and interaction. The girl needs her interaction. (She will be taking science and speech/debate outside of the home this year).

3. Teach all of the kids study skills. Again, in keeping with CM principles, I have neglected to teach the kids the principles of how to study. Some kids - even most kids - may figure them out on their own. Mine haven't.

4. RELAX and enjoy Austin's last year of high school. Of homeschooling. And since Riley is shooting for dual enrollment next year, this could be the last year I am responsible for the bulk of her education as well. So I need to make the most of it during this completely crazy year!

We are home for a few weeks with relatively few commitments outside of my training and planning, and meeting friends for some last-minute pool time! I'm hoping to get caught up with a summer of posts! :)

1 comment:

Autismland Penny said...

First, I love Blue's Clues! It was my favorite show that Logan watched incessantly.
Second, I need to teach my kids study skills too. I think it's a homeschool thing not a Charlotte Mason thing.
Third, think of the wonderful adventures you and Reece will have together when it's just her to teach!