Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day!

If you hadn't heard, the Atlanta area got some snow yesterday! It actually shut down the entire area, including my husband's place of business, so we got to have a snow day today! Now, I know that homeschoolers usually don't need to take "snow days" since we're already at home, but at the Black Pearl Academy, if daddy is home, then we are off! You tend to do that when daddy works 6 days a week and is gone most of those days from 6 AM to 5:30 PM! :D

So today the kids played in the snow (ok, so it was Reece - Reece played in the snow. The big kids just looked outside and went, "Eh") and then they took a walk up to the convenience store with daddy and bought a ton of junk food!

Overall, our lessons have been going quite well. Everyone has been getting up early to get a good start on the day, and that makes a big difference. I won't say that my mojo is completely returned, but it certainly is better.

We have a big Spring ahead of us, naturally!

Riley will be taking the SAT in early March. She has to do a standardized test  this year per state regulations and I was planning to have her do the ITBS. But her Biology teacher told me for the same money she could get practice taking the SAT, and we just won't send her scores anywhere. Sounds like a plan to me! She started working through a practice workbook this week.

Austin will be taking the ACT in April. His PSAT results indicated that there was probably no reason for him to take the SAT, and I have been told that kids on the spectrum tend to do better on the ACT anyway. The school he wants to attend post-high school doesn't require any standardized testing scores anyway, so this will just be for the experience and to have a score to report if we ever need one.

Riley's classes continue to go well - she has them until the first week of May. Austin's class is also going well (but this semester's focus is on Debate) and he finishes up at the end of March, I believe. Next year, I will be outsourcing the majority of Riley's courses. As many as I can afford. It simply works better for us at this time. Austin probably won't take any outside classes next year so I can direct the funds to Riley. However, I am working on a plan that will allow him to take one class with the awesome teacher he is working with this year. We'll have to see how that works out! :)

Dance is going great for all of us! Costumes are coming in (I look like Minnie Mouse in mine!) and that is always exciting! The recital is less than 4 months away!

We are still on track to finish up lessons at the end of May. The big kids are really hoping to spend the summer working. Riley will have Latin to do all summer (and I'll have Reece sit in so they can do recitation together to keep things fresh), but other than that, I think we've been pretty much on target! It's been very, very hard - but I think we'll all enjoy the break.

Speaking of the break - I have already found a way to keep myself busy this summer! I have signed up for a Half Ironman distance triathlon! The race is in Augusta, Georgia and it's at the end of September! The bulk of my training will be done in June through August.

So that's all for now. I do have another really deep and meaningful blog post to write up based upon another of my pastor's sermons. But that requires me to have time to really sit and think, and I haven't had much time for that in the last couple of weeks! But it's coming, I promise! :)

Stay warm and safe, everyone!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love a newsy post chock-full of interesting tidbits! Lots to discuss!