Friday, January 31, 2014

"I LOVE school!"

As a homeschooler, who wouldn't love to hear those words from the mouths of our children, right?

I heard those words this afternoon from my almost-15-year-old freshman daughter!

Except she wasn't talking about our homeschool. She was talking about the "school" where she takes classes on Fridays.

::sigh::

But if I take my hurt feelings out of the equation for a moment, I ought to feel glad. And happy for her. After all, the purpose for spending all the time and money doing these outside classes is because she told me that she wanted to take some classes, but she didn't want to be gone all day long, every day. And I wanted her to have the classroom experience before she goes to college. And I wanted to have some grades from other teachers to enhance her transcript, and to allow for college recommendation letters.

And today I got some great feedback from her World Literature teacher - that she is one of two students who passed the test on "The Odyssey" (and would have had a 100% except that she forgot to answer in her essay why she liked or disliked the book). And the teacher went on to praise her writing style. I have always thought she writes very well, but it's nice to have that outside validation.

So she's doing well in the classes, she's enjoying the kids she has met and the group she sits with at lunch, and the teachers seem to like her.

Why are my feelings still hurt?

Because it feels like failure that she responds better to other teachers than she does to me?

Pretty much.

Still, I am glad that this arrangement is working for her (and for me), and I'm thrilled that she wants to take additional outside classes next school year!

It's not about me. It's not about me. It's not about me.

2 comments:

walking said...

Some day she will appreciate you. Sometimes, it is very long in coming. Would she be writing as well if you had been a "fun" mom?

But, it does hurt and they do not even realize it.

Luke Holzmann said...

You daughter is successful academically and socially? Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep up the good work. All the time you're pouring into your kids is paying off.

~Luke