Thursday, July 11, 2013

"You purchased ANOTHER math curriculum?"

Yeah, you probably guessed it... that's a reference to a line from a movie. Can anyone guess what it is? Well, anyone except my husband, since there's no way he doesn't know!

And the answer would be "Yes. Yes, I did." (That part is not from the movie LOL).

As much as I was determined to stick with Math U See for high school, I changed my mind. It started innocently enough when Austin's ITED (the high school version of ITBS) results came back and the kid scored highest on math - practically on grade level despite the fact that he is only finishing up MUS Algebra 1. Is MUS to credit for that? I'm not sure, and I'll reserve judgement. Austin has been through way too many math curricula to level credit or blame on any one curricula. Poor kid.

Then I decided that this will be the last year that I teach Riley math at home. Despite my love of math, and the fact that she and I have done a much better job this year with getting along, it's time for her to move on. There is an amazing math teacher in Atlanta who is used by many of my friends, and you can take his classes online. I think that is a valuable skill to learn in this day and age as many of my friends' kids who are taking college classes (and even some high school classes) are doing so online. This is just the nature of 21st century education. A friend familiar with these classes told me that MUS Algebra 1 doesn't cover everything that is covered in the Derek Owens Algebra 1 classes, so I may want to have her get a copy of another Algebra 1 book and fill in the gaps. Well, I have the Jacobs Elementary Algebra book that I like so much and gave up on with Austin. So that should work.

Then I looked at what Geometry text Derek Owens requires and it's the Jacobs book, which is no longer easily obtained online. I was able to find a copy of the text and the teacher's book on ebay so I purchased it - not cheap, but not overpriced. Amazon's copies were in the THOUSANDS of dollars, and even Alibiris was listing copies in the $200-$300 range. No way!

When the book arrives, I will take a look at it and see if I'll have Austin complete it this year instead of MUS Geometry. One thing I've learned with Austin is that ANY curriculum is going to be challenging for him, but he does seem to be capable of learning with the hard work that he has given to his Algebra the last year. So if it's going to be hard anyway, and I have the book I need for Riley for next year anyway, I may as well just use what I have. Saving money and all, right?

I'll be sure to update when I get the book and get a chance to look at it! Now I need to decide if Riley will finish MUS Algebra 1 or if I'll go ahead and have her work through Jacobs Algebra this year instead of just having her go through it to fill in the gaps. She is about 1/3 of the way through MUS and that's most of the graphing section, which is a lot of work. I guess I should get out the Algebra book and take a look at it again.

Oh, and guess what?? Austin will finally finish Algebra 1 tomorrow!!! I think I may take us out for ice cream or something! It's been a long two years! :)


No comments: