Friday, June 28, 2013

Sun and "Fun"

So this week, I came to a realization about our Sun and Fun program. It hasn't been too much "Fun" for me. I've been harping on the kids to get their stuff done - no, really, just the girls. Austin wants his gift cards so badly it wouldn't surprise me to see him working on the weekend! The girls want their rewards, too, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's annoying me.

And quite frankly, the purpose of Sun and Fun is for them to keep their skills up while I get the planning done for the upcoming school year. This I cannot do when I'm having to follow them around to make sure they do their stuff. And you know what? They are too old for me to be doing this.

So yesterday I told them that there were going to have to take the initiative with Sun and Fun. If they are going to do the work that day, they will do it and mark it off. Writing needs to be emailed to me, or written and turned in. If assistance is required with math, arrangements must be made before lunch time. To verify that all work has been done, the sheet should be handed to me to sign off.

All of this ties right in to my goals for the kids to be understanding and working with deadlines and turning in work in a timely manner without reminders. I think they will find this necessary during their outside classes, so maybe this summer experience will help.

It is my intention to do much more detailed planning this summer, and in order to do that, I need time. I have 5 weeks until we begin our new school year, and really that's just 4 weeks because I'd like to take the week before school off from planning. This is definitely do-able but it's going to require some serious work on my part. But I think it will help me in the long run and free me up during our 'break weeks' to actually be able to enjoy some down time.

5 weeks until the first day of school? YIKES!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This is excellent preparation. I think you'll be pleased with the results if you are consistent. They will rise to your expectations!