Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sun and Fun 2013

Today the kids and I begin Sun and Fun! We have done this just about every year since we began homeschooling, but this is truly something we would do even if the kids went to a classroom school. Taking off of academics for an extended period of time just isn't a good idea! We could do a more traditional form of year-round schooling, but I think we all enjoy a little bit of fun in the summer.

Typically, the kids have had to do some reading, writing, and math each day and they would earn a "sun". Here is a post outlining how we did it in the past. But this year, each of the kids has something specific they are working towards. So I made a paper for each of the kids.
They each have to read 30 minutes a day, and they have a reading list of 2-3 books each. If they finish these books before the end of Sun and Fun, they can pick what they want to read from the public library or from our extensive personal library. They each have to pick a topic from the narration jar and write according to their age and abilities. And they each have to complete a math worksheet from their regular math programs. They have to do this 20 times before the end of July, which works out to be 3-4 days per week, or 4 straight weeks, whichever they prefer.

Austin wants gift cards for Pizza Hut and Bojangles. Isn't that such a teenage boy thing? Riley wants tickets to see a concert in September (so her reading list is a bit more extensive). And Reece wants the paid version of Minecraft for her laptop. Once they have completed their Sun and Fun, they will get their rewards!

I've made myself a couple of summer reading lists as well! I have been really slack about reading for enjoyment in the last couple of years because of trying to keep up with all of the kids' reading.

Mom's Summer Fun Reading

The first book, Blue Like Jazz, is one that my friend Laura lent me a long, long time ago about Christianity and faith and I can't wait to read it (and get it back to her!). The next book is Every Woman's Guide to Cycling, because that's my triathlon focus this year. The third book is Amplifying Our Witness, about teaching and reaching teenagers with developmental disabilities. And the fourth book is Simply Classical, a book about using classical education methods with special needs kids. I also have a book on my Kindle from the library called The Help, which I'm sure just about everyone has heard of. That will actually be the first book I read because it goes back this weekend.


Mom's Teacher In-Service Reading
The second group of books are my Summer Teacher Prep books, For the Children's Sake and Towards a Philosophy of Education (Vol. 6 of the Charlotte Mason series. These two books I read every single summer to refocus on our educational philosophy before the new year begins. Since I have been doing this, I have not experienced the panic and obsession with school choices. This summer I'm also going to read The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer to see if this might be a better choice for Austin to read over the next two years instead of How to Read a Book (which is a much denser read).

I've also got to work on lesson planning, but I'll focus on that more later in July! For now, I just want to get back into a habit of reading again. I really miss it!

What are you reading this summer?



1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi there! I'm creating a blogroll of blogs that blog (at least occasionally) about homeschooling high school. (http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/homeschool-high-school-blogs/) I came across yours today and would LOVE to add it. If you would consider this, could you email me? katie@letshomeschoolhighschool.com. Thanks in advance! Blessings...

Katie