Sunday, November 04, 2012

Changing Attitudes

If you thought from reading the title that this is going to be a post about homeschooling teenagers, you'd be right. But not for the reasons that you may be thinking.

The attitudes I am changing are my own.

Yeah. I'm guilty of having a bad attitude when it comes to homeschooling my teens. I'm also guilty of not trusting God with their futures. OUCH. Double-whammy.

My Bible study time this morning really whacked me upside the head with this reality.

"What I want instead is your true thanks to God;
     I want you to fulfill your vows to the Most High. 
Trust me in your times of trouble,
     and I will rescue you, 
     and you will give me glory."  - Psalms 50: 14-15

All God wants from me is genuine thanksgiving (praise) and trust in Him! Check out this other verse from today's readings. And these are not pre-chosen readings. I am just working my way through books of the Bible in a random order. But God takes the 'random' and uses them to His purpose.

"They look everywhere except to heaven, to the Most High." - Hosea 7:16a

How guilty I am of this one? I lament, I question, I complain - I rarely pray over it. I get a bad attitude with my kids and worry that they won't be productive adults. And I go on and on and on instead of praying and trusting and basically acting like the grown-up.

Yes, this is a huge responsibility. But worrying myself into a frenzy doesn't help. Telling myself that I never should have started homeschooling in the first place doesn't change the fact that we HAVE been homeschooling for 10 1/2 years and those plans do not appear to be changing. Comparing my kids to everyone else's kids like I have anything to prove to ANYONE is ridiculous and defeats the purpose of why I am homeschooling in the first place. Pushing pressure on my children to be a certain way is just my ego run wild. It's not really about the kids. It's about me. And that's not what I'm supposed to be doing.

This year's word is Courage. And instead of being courageous I am cowering in fear of the future which makes me have a bad attitude.

"I command you - be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9 

 Pray. Trust. Praise.

I've got 2 1/2 years left of high school with Austin, and Riley will be beginning her high school next school year. Do I really want it to be this way for them?

Pray. Trust. Praise.


1 comment:

walking said...

Your post reminds me of how focusing on ourselves as guides enables us to be better parents for our children.