Friday, July 13, 2012

Raising the next generation of grammar geeks

During Reece's grammar lesson today (yes we are STILL plugging away at the 2011-2012 school year @@), she noticed something that amazed me.

She is reviewing all the concepts from this year's book, and today she had to identify the prepositional phrases in a sentence, get rid of them (by drawing a box around them), and then diagram the rest of the sentence.

She loves diagramming and is quite good at it, so I leave her to do most of these by herself. Today she called me to her because she wanted to show me something. She noticed that the prepositional phrase that she had to put a box around could be easily moved to the beginning or to the end of the sentence and it would still make sense (in the given sentence, it was in the middle). I was so excited that she noticed this so I took the opportunity to explain to her something she will learn in next year's grammar - when you have a prepositional phrase that can be "moved", it means that it modifies the verb in the sentence.

She said, "Really?? Wow, that is so cool!"

Oh my gosh, she is SO MUCH FUN to home school! :D

1 comment:

bookworm said...

Attitude is the difference between joy and tears when it comes to homeschooling. Reece sounds like such a delight!