Wednesday, May 09, 2012

She is listening intently!

This term's literature read-aloud for Reece is The Hobbit, in preparation for the movies coming soon! Today, I was preparing us for the beginning of the next chapter, and as usual, I asked Reece to tell me what she remembers from the chapter we just finished.

She told me that Bilbo and the dwarves escaped from the trolls. I asked if she remembered what the trolls turned into. She sad, "I think it was dirt." I said, "Hmm, I thought I remembered that they turned to stone." Reece replied back, thoughtfully, "No, it said that they went back to the stuff the mountains are made of." The phrasing that she used piqued my attention, so I opened the book to the previous chapter and found the correct passage:

"William never spoke for he stood turned to stone as he stooped; and Bert and Tome were stuck like rocks as they looked at him. And there they stand to this day, all alone, unless the birds perch on them; for trolls, as you probably know, must be underground before dawn, or they go back to the stuff of the mountains they are made of, and never move again."

I was literally speechless.

I read the passage out loud to her and said, "It looks like we're both right." She was a little confused about how a mountain can be made of stone. I told her that I think it must be referring to mountains that you mine for jewels. She seemed to think that made sense. ;)

I am truly astonished that she remembered the phrasing of that sentence! I know that she comprehends well, and most of the time, more than she can get back out. But this time she completely exceeded my expectations! Have I mentioned lately how much I ::heart::: Charlotte Mason??? LOL


1 comment:

bookworm said...

I love when Reece stories make me smile!