Monday, April 30, 2012

Reece and Lego-Man!

One of my fondest memories of our trip came on the very first day. But first, you might need a little background information. Reece does not like costumed characters. At all. Not even a little bit. She does fine with Disney Princesses and Mary Poppins... the ones that look like people. But the ones in full costumes? Like Pooh, Tigger, the Chick-Fil-A cow?? No way. We learned this the hard way last year when we did the Character Breakfast at the Grand Floridian! LOL

So, we were at Legoland on Monday and as we're walking around in the afternoon, having already done most of everything there was to do, I feel a tap on my side. I look around and it's Reece. She is pointing at something  - the Lego Man walking by. She smiled big and I smiled back. She looked at him again and then looked at me with anticipation. I smiled and nodded and she ran over to him.

He opened his arms wide and she just sort of stood there. My mom snapped a couple of pictures.


Notice how her arms are close in to her body? She really did not want to hug him or be open to him at all, did she? LOL But she stood there with him, very obviously excited, while my mom took the pictures. And then she came back to me.

All without saying a word. And still a week later she won't talk about it. If you try to talk to her about it, she ignores you and pretends she didn't hear you, but I know she did because one time after I asked her about the Lego Man she looked away and smiled. But that's OK. Maybe one day she will want to talk about it! :)

Not only was it special to me that she wanted to have her picture taken with the Lego Man, but it was also the way she went about it that was so cool. The entire thing took place non-verbally! This wouldn't have been possible a few years ago, before RDI! She just didn't 'get' nonverbal communication at all! I still can remember her screaming, "TALK TO ME!" when I was nodding yes in response to a question! Wow, things sure do change, don't they?!

I think I love the Lego-Man! :D

5 comments:

Kelley S. said...

What a great, happy story! It's so great to hear how far she has come in recent years! We look forward to watching her grow and change even more--she is such a smart & sweet little girl, a true gift from God :)

Anonymous said...

Yes they do.. My first RDI memory is very similar. I was nodding my head and my dd was yelling ..TELL ME!!! So glad Reece was brave with the LegoMan. Rhonda

bookworm said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet!


It reminds me of when we gave Pamela an autographed picture of Lynnette and Molly from Big Comfy Couch. She could not LOOK at it for months!!!!!! She was soooooo over the top with joy.

Niffercoo said...

Thanks, y'all!

Chef Penny said...

Late to the party as usual but hurray! I love it!