Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Advice from a Veteran Homeschooler?

This year has been our 10th year of homeschooling.

I can remember going to homeschool group meetings back when I was first braving the waters of home education with my little ones and meeting moms who had been homeschooling for 10 years. Oh, I envied them because I figured they simply MUST know it ALL!

I'll let that soak in for a minute.

Are you laughing yet?

Ok, I'm sure there are probably plenty of veteran homeschoolers who do have it all together and know what they are doing. I do not count myself among them. The one bit of advice I could give homeschoolers starting out right now is not to bounce around with curricula. Just pick something and stick with it, especially with math. Do not succumb to the "grass is greener" variety of curriculum envy.

Oh, and make sure to do all the field trips and park days and stuff when they are little. When they are older, there simply isn't as much time to go out and do things. The workload increases so much, and if you have some kids with special needs who require extra assistance, your workload as a teacher will also increase (instead of decrease as is the case with most kids as they get older). Or at least it has for me.

So I guess I have 2 pieces of advice then! LOL



2 comments:

bookworm said...

The longer I do this, the more I feel there is to know! :-) That helps me let go of any regret.

Niffercoo said...

Maybe I'll get there one day, Tammy! :)