Sunday, February 26, 2012

Word of the Year - 2012

Finally, since it's almost March, I present you with this year's Word of the Year:

Courage


I attended the Fresh Grounded Faith Women's Conference a couple of week's ago, just about the time I was really praying over my Word of the Year. The speaker was Jennifer Rothschild, who has been blind from the age of 15. She encouraged us to "Go Gutsy". I could go on and on about her message and I still might do that because it's very pertinent to my life right now, but I have to take Riley to youth group soon. LOL What did become clear to me that weekend is that I live my life in fear - fear of the kids' futures, fear of screwing up, fear of not doing things right. And that's NOT how I'm supposed to live as a child of God.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Tim. 1:7

God has shown me over the last few months that I can give things to Him and He is trustworthy. He will be with me and carry me through. The one area that I keep wanting to cling to is the kids' futures. Why on earth do I think I love them more than God??? That's absurd!!

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jer. 29:11

He's got it planned out. He knows. I don't. I need to trust and pray!

It was hard to pick a word this year because I learned over the last 3 years of choosing "Words of the Year" that God apparently takes this seriously! LOL When I chose Trust, He gave me lots of opportunities to trust Him. I didn't do very well. Then last year I chose Joy because I wanted to learn how to have Joy despite my circumstances - and boy did He give me plenty of opportunities for that. I'd like to think I did a little bit better.

So when I choose Courage this year, it is with eager anticipation of the ways God will present opportunities for me to be strong and brave and trust Him to take care of me and my family!

"Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageos. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord." Psalm 27:14


1 comment:

The Glasers said...

Isn't it funny how the psalm writer paired courage and patience?