Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week In Review: Term 2, Week 1

Our term 1 was a true mess, what with Riley being gone a week for a mission trip, then the girls and I being gone for a week too Disney World, and then Austin going for 5 days to Florida for a fishing trip. And then I had two separate trips this fall to run marathons that not only took me away, but then the races themselves wore me out physically and mentally. Add into that an injury that had my mind distracted and took me away to physical therapy a few times a week. Then Austin started having seizures again, and before you knew it, the holidays were upon us. We never sank into a good groove, and it felt like we were just trying to throw in some work around our crazy lives. That's never productive. Or at least it isn't for us.

But now we have to really make some progress and set our minds to education. My running schedule will be much less this coming year not only to allow me to completely recover from last fall's injury but also to allow me time to better prepare for lessons. The kds' activities will continue to overwhelm from time to time, but we have until July to get all of our required days in! Someone will just have to remind me of this when June rolls around and we're still doing lessons! LOL

This first week back served as a math refresher for the big kids. Austin is doing a combination of Key to Algebra (in Book 4 now) and Math U See Algebra 1. It is really hard for him and he is not enjoying it. Riley is now doing Math U See Pre-Algebra for an assortment of reasons that I won't bore you with.

Reece is about halfway through Right Start Math, Level C and still loves it. And she hasn't needed any review. It seems we can lay off lessons for 3 weeks and she is able to basically pick up where she left off! She is just getting started into some drawing/geometry lessons (using a T-square, triangles, drawing board, etc) and I had considered skipping them in my attempt to get her "caught up" to her age/grade level peers in math. But I knew that she would really enjoy these lessons, and I want to keep that spark for math alive. So we continued on, and she has done the first lesson. Another day I will blog about the perimeter lesson that preceded it - and helped me to put aside my concerns of her being behind.

Our second term history will focus on Ancient Greece. Riley is beyond excited because she loves this time period from her obsession with enjoyment of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. She is reading The Story of the Greeks and the first half of Augustus Caesar's World. Austin is reading the section on Ancient Greece in World History: A Human Odyssey. And Reece will read the chapters on Ancient Greece in The Story of the World, Volume 1. Both of the big kids are also reading The Children's Homer, and Austin will follow that up with reading some of the original Iliad. Riley is reading Archimedes and the Door of Science for her biography this term. Reece is reading In Grandma's Attic, as she is completing the Sonlight curriculum's early reading lists. Austin continues his government study, and we will be focusing on elections and current events for the rest of this year, for obvious reasons! He will be able to vote in the next presidential election after this one! WOW!

Austin continues with his DVD-based Physical Science class from local educator Derek Owens. It is a new format for him (lecture-based) and he finds it challenging. There is also quite a bit of math required and he struggles with that as well so it makes the science harder. Riley is continuing Apologia's General Science. Reece is still enjoying the Burgess Flower Book.

Austin will have this term off from grammar while he focuses on writing by using Susan Wise Bauer's new curriculum called Writing With Skill. Both he and Riley will be working in level 1, which is currently the only level available. It is written to the student which makes it nice for me. Riley will do some grammar refreshing by beginning Our Mother Tongue, which is a small English Grammar text. Reece is still working in First Language Lessons, Level 3 and Writing With Ease, Level 2. She gets summarizing, copywork, dictation practice and beginning diagramming instruction and I don't have to pull it together on my own! Reece is also doing a spelling workbook from Rod and Staff because she loves it, but I am considering starting her in Spelling Wisdom (literature/dictation-based spelling) when she completes this workbook in a few weeks. Austin is doing Sequential Spelling for Adults in yet another attempt to help him spell better.

Riley is resuming Latin and French, much to her dismay. She wants to study Greek (see aforementioned obsession with Ancient Greece), and I told her that she can add Greek when she finishes with this Latin book, if she still desires.

That's all of the individual stuff I can think of. Our family lessons will have us completing the Hymn Study we began 3 years ago! We actually already know 2/3 of this term's hymns because of our current church! I will have to find us a new hymn CD! We continue to study the history of sculpture in A Child's History of Art. Our scripture for the term comes from the book of Luke and we continue to work through the original Pilgrim's Progress. This week we also began our first REAL Plutarch lesson using a wonderful study guide found on the Ambleside Online website. I think I felt part of my brain explode during the lesson and the kids kept saying, "HUH??" but we muddled through! LOL

 I think that's all... if I'm forgetting something, I'm sure you won't mind because if you've gotten this far, you're probably getting pretty bored! ;)  I'm going to attempt to post this week and update on each of the kids individually. They have each had lots of developments during the fall!

Thanks for hanging with me during all the silence!

2 comments:

poohder said...

I read it ALL! I think you should be proud of all that you do accomplish because you have a very RICH curriculum. Rhonda

Niffercoo said...

Thanks, Rhonda!! A rich curriculum is my goal, though sometimes I can hear Abeka or Bob Jones calling my name! LOL Seems like it would be so much less work for me! :)