Friday, July 01, 2011

You want the book lists? You can't handle the book lists!!

You know, I could probably start a theme with my blog post titles. They could all be movie quotes, just modified to fit my topic that day. I know I could do it... I usually quote movies all day long in my every day life! LOL Something to think about, I guess!

But, first, the topic at hand. You'd like to know what we're doing for our school year next year, wouldn't you? OK, I know you wouldn't. But since my blog is basically my little diary, then I'm going to go ahead and type for my own sake. And because I'm trying to avoid the housework. Shhhh, don't tell anyone! ;)

I thought I would start by including the areas where I am the most confident in our plans and save other areas for different posts. That's my theory anyway, so let's see where that takes us.

MATH
Reece will continue with RightStart. She will continue working in Level C, and I suspect she will finish it and move into Level D, but it's all at her pace.

Riley will do pre-Algebra, either with Horizons or with the Lial's Basic College Mathematics book. I may have her finish the Singapore Primary Math series in addition to the pre-Algebra book, but I'm not sure.

Austin will attempt Algebra 1 with Key to Algebra and Lial's Introductory Algebra. I'm not sure yet how to combine them, but the plan is to start with Key to... and go from there.

LOGIC
Austin and Riley will each do The Fallacy Detective and The Art of Argument, but not together. I'll start one child in one book, and the other child in the other. I guess for a topic like Logic/Debate, it might be better to do it together for discussion purposes. We'll have to see.

TYPING (Reece)
Typing Instructor Deluxe, on the computer - Riley used this and did very well.

SCIENCE
Austin will take an outside class for science this year for the first time. The instructor uses BJUP's Physical Science textbook. The class meets once a week for 90 minutes, and he will have additional assignments to complete at home. Riley will begin Apologia's General Science book. In addition, she will read It Couldn't Just Happen, and biographies of Archimedes, Galileo, and Galen. Reece will learn about flowers from The Burgess Flower Book (a beautiful out of print book I won on ebay!!!!) and insects from Jack's Insects (reprinted by Simply Charlotte Mason). We will get kits from Insect Lore and grow butterflies and others, and we will grow some flowers.

I'm going to go ahead and stop there... I guess it's an OK start, but considering we're in July already, that's a little unnerving! LOL

2 comments:

poohder said...

I CAN handle the book lists LOL!

Laura Marshall said...

We have the butterfly habitat if you'd like to borrow it. We'll need it in the spring, but if you were planning to study them before then, you're welcome to it. Also, we just finished the ant farm, which was fascinating. You're welcome to borrow it and return it at your leisure.