Sunday, July 24, 2011

Some peace...

This weekend I have been working on breaking down our term weeks into daily assignments. Because the big kids' books will be a step up in difficulty, I think it will be even more crucial to break up the daily reading into small chunks, as Charlotte recommended. This will give the kids more time to focus on the complex language and to get familiar with the characters (both fictional and real) and with what is going on.

So I've just started this process, and I'm finding that I'm not nearly as overwhelmed as I have been. Yes, it's going to be a lot. Yes, our days are going to be longer. And yes, I'm prepared to drop some things or take it even more slowly if necessary. But overall, I think we have a good place to start.

I'm also really excited for Reece's schedule because I think she's going to be able to read one or two of her own school books for the first time! We'll have to see how it goes with her comprehension, but I'm going to have her give it a try!! Yes, some things I will have to read to her still, but I think she'll be able to handle Child's History of the World and American Tall Tales and Marco Polo! :)

I'm hoping to wrap up the planning early this week and get onto the reading! I need to get a head start so I am able to keep up!

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

I love reading your stories about planning. I get a thrill out of planning too!