Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let's try this again... a question?

OK, I deleted my earlier post. No room for negativity. We are committed to make this work for the first term and we will do our best and learn from our experience.

Riley did crack me up this afternoon after stumbling onto Ivanhoe and declaring that she "isn't going to read that". She told me that she doesn't NEED to read classic literature that is too hard and she doesn't understand. She told me that I NEED to find books that are interesting to her and that she enjoys.

What do you think? Does a 12 year old (7th grade) child get input about what books are too hard before she even tries them?

4 comments:

Chef Penny said...

Absolutely not. I tell Logan that he has to read them regardless of his beginning opinion of it. Not surprisingly, the majority of the time he likes them. But he gets no say in his books that he has to read for lessons. Just my opinion.

Niffercoo said...

LOL That's basically what I told her, Penny. She has this delusion that public school kids get to pick what they read for their lessons, courtesy of the little girl who used to live across the street who enjoyed making up lies about what school was like. @@

Chef Penny said...

Ha! That's not true. One of the reasons I pulled Logan out of school was because they made him read at his grade level which was 2 levels lower than what he was actually reading.

Niffercoo said...

Oh, I know, Penny - remember I taught 2nd grade. But Riley simply refuses to believe that I know what I'm talking about, or that her friend would tell her lies. :( Thankfully she has moved away.

I did tell her that the one book she was complaining about the most was read by one of her friends last year, but she said that he is "one of the kind of people who is into learning and books and stuff". @@