Sunday, June 12, 2011

Worldly Expections

Well, this has been an interesting morning. I blogged the post below right before I left for church. Literally. I clicked "Publish Post" and we walked out the door.

The sermon series this month is on the book of Hebrews. Today's sermon was on Hebrews 2: 1-4 specifically:

(A Warning against Drifting Away)
1 So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it. 2 For the message God delivered through angels has always stood firm, and every violation of the law and every act of disobedience was punished. 3 So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak? 4 And God confirmed the message by giving signs and wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit whenever he chose.


Towards the end of the sermon, our pastor started speaking about Peter and how we always talk about how he sank in the water when he took his eyes off Jesus, which is true - but why don't we focus on the fact that Peter WALKED ON WATER. He was listening to Jesus and following the truth. It wasn't until he was distracted by the world around him - by the expectations of the world - that he panicked.

Pause for a minute and think on that.

Am I the only one making the connection between this message and my blog post?

My stress about high school is all about the world's expectations. I think that's natural, though. For the first time, our home school is held up to a standard - in an area where those standards have been plastered all over the news for the last 6 months or so. Austin has special needs and would certainly have an IEP in school, I suspect. But I'm really not familiar enough with 'the system' to understand how that would apply to our situation. And now that he has tested "in the normal range" I feel like I am really at a loss.

But maybe this morning's sermon is a reminder not to FOCUS on the world's expectations. Teach Austin. Teach Riley. Teach Reece. God gave them to me (us) for this purpose. Going by the world's expectations I brought a child from the low range to the average range in 5 school years, so I must be doing something right. But that isn't my true purpose - to look good on tests and get good SAT scores and get into colleges. That isn't the entire meaning for our home school.

My purpose is to raise a young man and two young women to fulfill their God-given purpose in life. They need to have an academic education, to be sure, but they also need to have a deep, strong relationship with their Heavenly Father. They need to know that there is a purpose for their lives, and that they can trust and depend on God to take care of them. Worldly things will come and go. Standards will change with the whims of the generations. But a person who has a strong character and work ethic, who cares about other people and the world around him, and who has a strong applied faith - that's the sort of person that I want to be able to raise.

Ugh, there is that "I" part again. It's so easy to make it about me. If my kids are successful, it sure would make me look good, wouldn't it? I shudder to think that this is where my true problem lies - in my own vanity. I do truly in my heart want my children to have whatever future they want to have. And I do not want it to be that they cannot do something they want to do because I did not properly prepare them. But this really should not be about me "looking good" to others. And I pray that my apprehension when it comes to high school is NOT related to that. It IS a huge responsibility - but to God and to my children. It's not about me.

Maybe if I fix my eyes on Jesus, I can walk on water, too?

3 comments:

poohder said...

AMEN sister!!! I know what you're saying about vanity, I've felt it too. We HAVE to let go of the vanity for OUR sakes and THEIRS, because I believe they will grow up and be who they are DESPITE what we've done or not done because God is bigger than what WE do. Love ya!!

The Glasers said...

You may enjoy the sermon series my pastor started on wisdom. It doesn't completely dovetail, but it is affirming to know others are also thinking about the distinction between worldly principles and heavenly wisdom. http://www.newcovenantmanning.com

Just because you are on the road less traveled, doesn't mean you are on the wrong road!!!!!!!

sjcoffie said...

Amen! Well said.