Thursday, March 17, 2011

Finally, a RightStart complaint!

Lest you begin to think I'm being paid for all of my RightStart praise (though I wouldn't mind a free copy of Geometry for Riley next year LOL), I did find something that I do not like about Level B.

Today was the last lesson, and it involved giving the End of the Year test. I was shocked to find that it was 4 pages long! This from a curriculum that rarely had a worksheet, and when it did, had very few problems on it... it was shocking. I decided quickly to take 2 days to complete the test.

Then, I was disappointed to see that many concepts were covered on the test that had not been reviewed in many, many lessons!! Also, there was one problem that has NEVER been covered. I'm not sure if the problem was a typo, because if it had been worded differently we could have easily solved it. But I was proud of how Reece handled it. She got as far as she could - she put all the information in the right places (this was a Part-Whole circle problem). But the problem was going to require her to subtract 39 from 87. We have barely subtracted at ALL, and certainly not problems that complex. If she had been required to ADD those two numbers, then she could have completed it.

It's not a big deal though... the test isn't a big deal to me in the grand scheme of things. And I was pleased to see how well Reece has done despite the lack of review on some of the topics. I guess we will be starting Level C on Monday!!

No comments: