Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fitting in

On Sunday, I was running late for church, and as I got into the shower, I told Reece to go get dressed. That was my first mistake. I wasn't specific enough, and she was rather excited about going to church because it had been a month since she had been, due to various illnesses among her and her siblings. When I came out of the shower, she was wearing a Princess costume. It wasn't one of her "real" Princess costumes (read: it wasn't made by Disney), but it was definitely a flowy princess dress. I hadn't said, "Put on a dress from your closet." I just said to get dressed, and she likes to be Fancy.

Then she asked me to put her hair in a bun so she could wear the tiara she bought at Magic Kingdom. As I already mentioned, we were running late, and it would take me longer to explain why that wasn't a good idea than to just toss her hair into a quick bun and be done with it.

But as I was doing her hair, I started to wonder if this was a good idea. I wonder if it's time to guide her into dressing more age-appropriately. She will be 9 in a few weeks, and at least in our area, 9 year old girls don't dress in Princess Wear. And definitely they don't do it in public. Honestly, most girls her age have grown out of the Princess phase entirely.

She already doesn't have any friends at church. No little girls come running up to her to say hi. They don't giggle and want to run around on the playground with her. For the most part, the girls her age avoid her like the plague, lest she have a meltdown. And she hasn't really even had very many meltdowns lately, but we attend a small church and children this age have really good memories. Does allowing her to come to church dressed in a princess dress and tiara make that worse? Is she "that weird girl who dresses like a princess"?

For the record, all of the adults who saw her completely doted on her. And one toddler boy said, "Daddy! It's a Princess!" when she walked by. She loved that! She doesn't seem embarrassed by any of it. And I'm totally OK with it... as long as it's not contributing to her not fitting in. I'm just not sure if I need to be putting an end to it. ::shrug::

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

I love what the little boy said . . . sweet!