Saturday, October 09, 2010

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month

In case, like me, you weren't aware that October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month - now you do! I learned about it from the blog of a fellow ROTE runner, Andi. Her little boy has Down Syndrome.

At our old church, there was a family who had a teenage daughter with Down Syndrome. She had several children after that child, and I remember a conversation with her when she was pregnant with one of those children. We talked about the pressure the doctors were putting on her for testing. She told me about the number of births of children with Down Syndrome in the world going down because many people were choosing to terminate the pregnancy. It broke my heart. Shortly after this conversation, the top news story was about the discovery of a gene marker for autism and how this could lead to prenatal testing for autism. So that discussion hit quite close to home.

Anyway, I just felt like I needed to share with you that October has another meaning...

1 comment:

Sadie said...

That is so sad. :( The only reason we did the prenatal testing was so that we could do research and be prepared if anything showed up. I had a cousin with Down's Syndrome (she passed away a few years ago, in her 40's), and she was such a happy beautiful person, like a perpetual 5 year old. I really think those with Down's Syndrome are truly some of the most joyous people I have ever met - Nate and I love to watch one young man at our church who has Down's as he really gets down to the worship music every Sunday - you can't help but smile!