Monday, July 12, 2010

Right Start B: Lessons 11 & 12

These two lessons involved partitioning 5. I wasn't surprised that Reece understood this concept and that she knew all of these facts already. I decided to combine both lessons so she wouldn't get frustrated. I did make her show some of the problems on the abacus just so she would have practice with the concept of partitioning and how it looks and feels to do it with the abacus.

At the end of the lesson I told her that we'll be doing pennies and nickels tomorrow. She immediately balked - "I don't know which ones those are!" I smiled and said, "That's why there is a lesson on it. You're not supposed to know how to do it." It cracks me up. Riley is the same way: so frustrated and upset over a concept that I am preparing to teach, because she doesn't know it. Strange! LOL

As I was putting materials away, Reece said, "Wait! I know what a penny is - and it's worth one cent." "You're exactly right," I assured her. Then she walked away while muttering, "At least I know half of it!" ;)

2 comments:

Penny said...

One of Maria Miller's blog posts told me to call coins by their denomination amount and not their name. For example, a 1 cent piece; a 5 cent piece; a 10 cent piece; and a 25 cent piece, instead of penny, nickel, dime, quarter. I thought that is an excellent idea! :) We have to work on learning money, too.

Niffercoo said...

Penny, that's an interesting idea, but at what point do you add in the correct names? It seems like it would be easier just to teach the correct names alongside the value of the coin rather than having to go back and reteach the names, since most people don't call them 25 cent piece, etc. Does she address that?