Friday, July 16, 2010

Right Start B: Lesson 15 and 16

Sorry that I didn't have time to blog about math yesterday. We had a very busy day, including a neurologist appointment for Austin so I didn't have any time. Unfortunately, that means that my recollections of yesterday are going to be vague at best. :(

Lesson 15 is the beginning of learning the facts that add up to 10. Reece does have experience with this from Singapore Math, and from working on her facts in MUS Alpha. But I know she spends a lot of time counting in her head with them, so I want to help her get past that with RightStart. We used the tally sticks and abacus to partition 10, and the whole/part charts to find the missing part. Then we played a matching game to find pairs of numbers that equal 10. I loved her reaction when I got out the cards and told her we were going to play a game. She said, "Well, that's new." Cracked me up!

Today we began a lesson for mastery of the 10s facts that indicates it can take 2 or 3 days. This one did just a brief stint with the abacus and whole/part charts, but jumped right into two new games. We just did one game today, a version of Go Fish where you are trying to match up two facts that equal 10. She loves Go Fish, so it was perfect! I'm planning to continue to play at least one of the card games with her to keep working on the 10s facts. It's not hard since she enjoys playing cards so much!

One funny note... when we were doing our lesson, Riley was in the kitchen. She said, "I wish I had learned math that like when I was little." Awwww! :)

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

Awwww . . . Reece is so cute . . . :-)

It makes me want to get started with the Intermediate level . . .