It's another one of those evening posts. I will do my very best and try to make it sound coherent! :)
Today we worked on problem solving. This was something very important to me, as one of the last straws with MUS Alpha was realizing that she was just putting the numbers in the blanks on the word problems to come up with the correct answers. She wasn't problem solving at ALL. Most of the time, she wasn't even reading the problems!! She was just finding the numbers and putting then in the equation!! @@
Today we used the tally sticks and the beloved abacus to solve simple problems. Then we also used the partition chart from yesterday to show in written representation what the problem feels like. This was GREAT!! I know from my experiences with Austin that the language processing problems my children on the spectrum have make problem solving very challenging. An example of that today was a problem where we started with a 2 and got to 5. With the way the sentence was worded, she wanted to add the 5 to the problem. I had to read the sentence 4 times before she finally processed what it meant. But she DID figure it out. And that was the important part. We're going to work on some more of those another time because it is that important to me that she understand it thoroughly. But at the same time, I don't want it to become static so that she starts to "plug and chug" again!!
She was a little more resistant today, but I think that was because we had a fun, busy day planned! She didn't really want to work when there was so much to look forward to! LOL When I let her know that we wouldn't be leaving to start our "FUN" until the work part of "SUN" was complete, she settled right down! ;)
On a sad note, I got outbid on the RightStart materials. Bummer. Now I need to decide if I want to just go ahead and order the set new from CBD or if I want to be patient and wait for another ebay auction.