Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Right Start B: Lesson 2

It did not go as well today. She was very resistant from the moment we sat down. We started off reviewing number sets and when she laid the tally sticks (and a special thanks to Riley who walked by right at that time and said, "Those are popsicle sticks" @@) out she laid them out horizontally. I showed her how to lay them vertically, and she started to cry and said she can't do it perfectly. I told her that I wasn't expecting her to do it perfectly, just for them to be up and down. The next number, she did them up and down but put them right next to each other. It's hard during those times to know whether or not she is trying to provoke me. :( I showed her that they need to be apart from each other so we could see that it's not just one stick. She cried again.

She told me over and over again that she was bored. I told her that I knew this part seemed easy, but that it was very important that she be able to see the numbers without counting them. She didn't like it when it was time to practice showing the numbers I called out with her fingers - she said I was going too fast. Every new thing brought about more resistance and tears. But when I decided to stop and try again tomorrow, she got upset and said she didn't want to stop.

New things always bring about this sort of reaction from her, so I'm not surprised. It's just very annoying and unpleasant. Add that to the fact that I am not comfortable with reading from the manual yet, so I don't think it was a fun time for either of us.

Tomorrow we use the abacus for the first time. I'm anxious to see how that goes.

3 comments:

Chef Penny said...

Great job! It will be ok. Maybe she was just feeling extra incompetent in it today. Keep ending on a positive note and it will lessen. (((((hugs)))

As for Riley, you get extra mom points for not drop kicking as she walked by. lol

The Glasers said...

Do you have to read from the manual? Making Math Meaningful was like that, but I never did, especially with Pamela. I put it in my own words in a way Pamela might understand.

How would Reece respond if you let her stop when she got three in a row correct? Would that give her incentive or too much pressure?

Niffercoo said...

Tammy, the thing with Right Start is that I want to stay close to their approach in math, since the way I intuitively approach math doesn't seem to work my kids with ASD.

Reece is a perfectionist, so I am working hard to let her know it's OK to make mistakes. I don't want to put added pressure on her to be right all the time. :(