Friday, April 02, 2010

Family Movie/Game Nights

One of the goals I set for 2010 was to have a Family Movie Night once a month, and a Family Game Night once per quarter. I am pleased to say that we have met this goal for the first quarter of 2010!!

Our Family Movie night for January was Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian, for February was G-Force, and March was Up! I popped popcorn (the real stuff on the stove top) and melted butter over it! And we had soda and something sweet... cake, cookies, brownies, etc. I was afraid it would be hard to find movies that would appeal to all of us, but those three movies seemed to work well.

Family Game Night would be a little trickier... I would get hives just thinking about it! LOL Austin and Reece don't handle games well. But I really wanted to work on being together without a screen involved, much to my husband's dismay! I've been playing games one on one with Reece, helping her deal with losing, or having moves against her that don't help. It's been going well, so I thought we'd start with that game: Sorry!

It was SO much fun! The one we actually had the most trouble with was Riley, because she is used to winning everything she plays, and she wasn't! LOL She got over it pretty quickly, though, and we all had fun with the twists and turns of the game. Since it's a 4 player game, and there are 5 of us, I didn't officially play... just sat with Reece and helped her when/if she needed it. At one point, toward the end of the game, Austin remarked, "I don't regret this nearly as much as I expected!" It cracked us ALL up!

In the end... Austin was victorious! Well, really we were all victorious because we had a fun evening together! :) But Austin won the game, and had to clean up.

I'm looking forward to another game night, and if they continue to be successful, we will start having them monthly!

2 comments:

The Glasers said...

Even as old as my kids are, that is not a bad idea. What games are working for your family?

Niffercoo said...

Well, since we've only done it once... Sorry! is the only game we've played together! I wanted it to be a game that focused more on chance than skill because that would make it more even. Riley dominates most games that rely on strategy, because she GETS strategy where Austin and Reece do not. I'm thinking we might try Yahtzee next time, as that was one of my favorite games growing up.