Monday, January 11, 2010

Back to business

We resumed our lessons today, and I guess it went pretty well. The biggest factor was waking the kids up at 8:30 and starting lessons at 9:00. I would love to let everyone continue to sleep in as long as they need to, but certain folks would sleep until 11:00. While there's nothing inherently wrong with that, considering we are homeschoolers and our time is more flexible, the individual who likes to sleep in that late also likes to be done with lessons early in the afternoon. Perhaps that worked when said individual was in 1st grade, but not so much anymore! ;)

So I began the waking-up at 8:30, and by 9:00 everyone was sitting at the table for Bible, Scripture Memory, and Character Building (Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends). They all looked really tired. LOL I passed out assignment sheets and was met with a wailing and gnashing of teeth. I did my best to ignore it.

I set the big ones to work on some independent stuff, and started Reece on the thing she's been begging me for all week: learning to write in cursive. I taught her how to write her name in cursive last year to appease her, but she's been begging and begging to learn the rest. Finally she just started making it up on her own, so I figured it would be better to go ahead and teach her now rather than have to correct bad habits. She was very excited! We then did some math, and began reading a new book.

I gave her a break, sent Riley to look for her missing math book, and watched Austin's Math-U-See lesson with him. Surprisingly enough, by that time, it was recess! WOOHOO!

Unfortunately, it flew by. We resumed at the table, where we were going to listen to Story of the World, Volume 3 as a family. We listened to the first 2 volumes last year, but I had decided this year to split everyone up in an attempt to diminish the bickering and arguing. That worked, but I was just not able to keep up with 3 different histories. So I told them we are going to listen together, they will NOT argue with each other, they WILL encourage each other, or Mama was going to do something that would be unpleasant. We listened to a section, Riley gave me an oral narration, Austin gave me a written narration that left a lot to be desired but it's the first day back so I'll just do my best to ignore that. Reece colored the picture from the activity guide while we listened, and she wrote cartoon bubbles above the characters' heads so I'm taking that as evidence that she understood what she was listening to.

By a miracle, Riley found her math book and began to work. She was the worst one with the arguing today, as usual. I swear I could say the sky is blue and she would argue over the shade of blue.

Austin and I did grammar together today since he hasn't done grammar since October, due to NaNoWriMo. He did pretty well, once he got "Proper Noun" and "pronoun" sorted out again in his head.

Everyone was pretty well finished by lunch time, except Riley who could have been finished but had spent much of her morning arguing.

I'm totally wiped out - so much mental energy is spent in maintaining my "calm, neutral responses" that I feel like I've been hit by a truck when it's all over. Tomorrow will be a harder day because Reece has dance class in the middle of the afternoon which really interrupts the flow. Hopefully getting up early will help us!

Hope the week goes well for everyone out there... if anyone reads here anymore! :)

2 comments:

Chef Penny said...

Keep up the calm and neutral work. You will see dividends later. ((((hugs)))))) I think you are doing a fantastic job!

龐克 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.