Sunday, November 01, 2009

Word Count - November 1st

Mom - 2,506
Austin - 183
Riley - 146
Reece - 83

The first day of NaNoWriMo is nearly over, and we have all written much! I'm proud of all of the hard work the kids have put into this first day, especially considering that it's a Sunday. We had church, and Austin had one of his favorite Nascar races to watch, and Riley had choir rehearsal - and everyone still managed to write! Austin, Reece, and I each even met our first word count goals!

And already, NaNoWriMo has accomplished so much! Austin wrote his words this evening while I was at choir with Riley. When I returned he was ready for a word count, and was thrilled to know he had written 183 words. He just told me, "You know - if I can write 183 words in just 10-15 minutes, a WHOLE page, then I know I can write a written narration that long, too." SO awesome! I'd been having trouble with him trying to turn in a one sentence written narration, and complaining that he couldn't write more than that. Now he sees that he CAN! WOOHOO

I'm finding my story a bit harder to get into than last year's story. I'm thinking of writing a little bit out of order - end of the story stuff - (yeah, I know, shocking, huh??) to see if that helps me get a feel for some of the earlier scenes. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

2 comments:

Sadie said...

Way to go, all of you! And yippee on Austin's epiphany!

The Glasers said...

I love how Austin made connections between NaNoWriMo and written narration! :0)