Friday, October 02, 2009

Weekly Review: 9/28-10/2

I came into this week extremely discouraged and full to the brim of fear. It had been building for a couple of weeks, and it completely took me over. As a result, we didn't accomplish much this week but the basics.

Riley finished reading Tales of Beetle the Bard. We are taking turns picking literature selections for her to read, and this was her turn. She originally chose the 7th Harry Potter book, Deathly Hallows, but I told her she couldn't pick something for lessons that she's already read several times! She chose the Harry Potter-inspired Beetle the Bard, and finished it this week. Her written narration on one of the short stories in the book was absolutely fantastic, with the glaring exception of the complete lack of capitalization. I think next week we're going to need to implement some copywork for a refresher course on the concept that "Every sentence begins with a capital letter." Austin is nearly done with Treasure Island. Reece finished Greg's Microscope, and began Hill of Fire, both of which are I Can Read! books.

Riley worked on review lessons in her math book. Austin continued in his new math book, and is doing quite well. Reece continued to enjoy her new math book, and played "Make 10s" with me a few too many times.

Austin continued in his Spelling book, but the girls had the week off from spelling. Everyone had the week off from Grammar and Science. Austin and Riley read the next sections in their history books.

The most important part of my week was not academic. It was when I heard about a new audio workshop available from Simply Charlotte Mason entitled, Looking Past the Fear. There was an introductory price for the download and I immediately purchased it. I am so glad I did! It was encouraging and changed my entire week! I highly recommend it for any homeschool mom who is struggling with fear in homeschooling!

Looking ahead in the month of October, we'll be working hard to balance our academics and the end of Austin's travel baseball season (and my running... I have 3 races in 4 Saturdays this month!). During the last half of the month, we'll be doing the prep work for the kids' novels. NaNoWriMo begins November 1st!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You're doing great! I'm glad you found the seminar!

The Glasers said...

What does Riley think of Beetle the Bard? I'm always tempted to buy it but never do.

What are their new math books? Why do they like them?

It sounds like you had a great week. Sometimes, it's not what we managed to get done when we are at the top or our game but managing to slog through with determination when we feel overwhelmed. Keeping going without losing it is a great thing to accomplish!

Niffercoo said...

Tammy: Riley wasn't too impressed with Beetle the Bard. Maybe you could check it out from the library.

Reece's new math is Singapore Primary Mathematics, the same math Riley uses. For her, I'm not sure what the difference is.

Austin's new math is Basic College Mathematics by Margaret Lial. It's a remedial college textbook, used frequently for Pre-Algebra in homeschools. He likes it because he knows when he's done with it, I'll let him start Algebra. He was very concerned that most of his friends are doing Pre-Algebra or Algebra this year and he wasn't.