Saturday, September 26, 2009

Weekly review: 9/21-25

Edited to add Riley's spelling argument below!

This week brought new math curricula for Austin and for Reece. Reece never liked Math-U-See for reasons only known to her. I resisted changing for probably too long because I felt that I needed to use it because of her autism, and I couldn't find a program that I really liked that I thought would work better for her. I love Singapore Primary Math that I use for Riley, but was afraid there wouldn't be enough review for Reece. In the end, I decided to just go with Singapore Primary math, as no program is going to be able to be used as written for her anyway and I like the way Primary math approaches topics. I also own all of the CD-roms so I can use those for reinforcement when needed and she has enjoyed the first one for years. I started her at the beginning with 1A, and she was thrilled! She actually sat down this week and did the first 10 exercises in the workbook!

Austin's new math is Basic College Mathematics. It is a remedial college textbook that comes highly recommended on the WTM board for Pre-Algebra. We can use this book for however long it takes us, and then move into Algebra 1. He is very excited about getting ready for Algebra and he appreciates the more adult tone of this text. Several of the examples for word problems have included the history channel or baseball game statistics. There are usually 90 problems per lesson, so obviously he's only doing a fraction of those. But it has worked to be an advantage. When he struggled with one lesson, I was able to assign him more problems of that specific kind to work on the next day. And he handled that quite well! He told me that he feels nervous when we change things, but that he is going to be OK with it. I love it when he can recognize how he's feeling within himself!

Overall, however, this was a pretty challenging week. I'm feeling overwhelmed with all of the different 'teacher hats' I have to wear (7th grade, 5th grade, 2nd grade). It's hard to keep on top of where each child is individually, making sure they get the sort of education they need. I don't feel like I'm doing a good job of that part, especially. This was my main concern when we started a CM style education, and I get frustrated with myself that I don't seem to have enough hours in the day.

I'll just keep plugging away.

Quotes from Riley-
Riley got rather aggravated at this week's spelling lesson in which she learned the rule for doubling a consonant to keep a short vowel sound. She said, "Why do I have to learn this? How will it make a difference when I'm a dancer/actress/artist?" I told her that she would need to make sure her resume is full of correct spelling so she wouldn't look careless and uneducated. She didn't miss a beat. "The director is NEVER going to ask me why I doubled that consonant before I added the suffix."

Strong-willed child? Maybe?

6 comments:

poohder said...

I am interested in learning more about Basic College Mathematics. I tried looking it up on Amazon and there were many versions and authors. Would you give me more info? Thanks Rhonda PS So glad you are finding some new things that are working for you all.

Niffercoo said...

Rhonda, this is the version I have. I got it from a friend who bought it used. The only thing you have to do is make sure there's no writing because it can be used as a consumable book.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-College-Mathematics-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321257804/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254012279&sr=8-1

It's the 7th edition by Margaret Lial. There is a newer edition, but it might not be as cheap.

The Glasers said...

I have said it before and I'll say it again . . . David and Riley sure are kindred spirits . . . LOL!

poohder said...

JENNIFER, Do I need a corresponding
teachers edition?

Niffercoo said...

Rhonda, I didn't buy a teacher's edition, but I'm pretty strong in math. The answers to the odd problems are in the back of the book, too.

Niffercoo said...

Tammy, is there any chance that I'll survive her teen years? She's already so moody! LOL