Thursday, September 17, 2009

The best homeschool moment ever!

The girls have always enjoyed "writing books" - getting a stack of paper, stapling it together, and then, depending on their ages, illustrating a book while I write in the words or writing the story themselves. And since we did NaNoWriMo last year, the story writing has only intensified. Very often Reece will point out the building action in a story I'm reading to her, or one she's reading, or even in a movie and say, "We're going up the roller coaster!" (The concept of a story as a roller coaster was taught in the Young Writer's materials found on the NaNoWriMo website... will try to get a link up to those).

Reece has been working on her newest story, The Father's Day Gift, off and on since, well, Father's Day! It's completely self-directed... she brings it to me when she wants to work on it. She wants to write it all herself, so she needs help with the spelling.

Now that she's begun grammar lessons using First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, I wanted to reinforce those lessons in her copywork and other writing. I also wanted to be able to point out punctuation that she sees in her own reading. As I was showing her how her quotation marks need to go and how Father's Day is capitalized because it's a proper noun, Reece said, "You know, it's very good that I'm learning my grammar, because it helps me when I'm writing my book!"

Now if that isn't music to a homeschool mama's ears, I don't know what is! :)

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

Snoopy dancing and praising God for sweet moments like that!