Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fear vs. Faith

It's been a rough summer at the Black Pearl Academy, at least for the teacher. The first day of lessons has been approaching and with it has come ever-increasing amounts of dread. This will be our 8th year of homeschooling... what should I be so scared about THIS particular year? I've not been able to put my finger on it, no matter how deeply I've searched.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Sherry gave me an article from our state homeschool association's magazine about Fear vs. Faith, written by Jeannie Fulbright, a CM homeschooler and author of the elementary Apologia science courses. I found her article here on her blog, and thought I would share it.

The entire article resonated with me, but this one particular quote struck me the most:

"Fear is the opposite of faith, but it is actually similar to faith. You "believe" the fear, much the same way that you should rather believe God. Therefore, fear is an expression of faith. You have faith in the thing you fear, rather than in the Truth."

I looked up the definition of faith - belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.

So, basically we're back to an issue of TRUST, huh? Figures.

Guess I will work on memorizing Psalm 91....

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

I never thought of fear and faith in that light--thanks for the link. I'll have to check out Psalm 91, too!