Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A system or a method?

Last week I read what is perhaps the greatest article about homeschooling that I have read in my 7 years of homeschooling: A System or a Method? from Simply Charlotte Mason. I especially chuckled at this quote:
"We want the 283 easy steps to an educated child. "

Yep, that's exactly what I want! LOL

Yet, I know in my heart that it's just not possible, especially with children who have special needs.

I get very wrapped up in following a system... because I feel like if I follow it, it'll be the "283 easy steps to an educated child." I don't like to deviate, even when I feel uncomfortable, for fear of messing up the steps.

But in the end, it's the methods that really make the difference. Ambleside... Well-Trained Mind... Simply Charlotte Mason... they are all systems. They are all good systems, but I can't be so ingrained in them that I forget that I'm teaching children. Real people who don't always fit into systems. And that's OK! It's the methods that matter in the end!

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

In that way, RDI and CM have a lot in common: guiding principles, not black and white steps and rules. You actually get to THINK on your feet while you teach . . .