Friday, July 03, 2009

A family rhapsody

Yesterday was a really great day with the big kids while Reece was at her last day of art camp. And speaking of art camp, her picture was featured on the front page of our local newspaper when they did an article about the camp. You can read the article and see her picture here. Austin and Riley and I went to IHOP for brunch, and then went to the bowling alley to use our free game coupons from kidsbowlfree.com. I decided to bowl with the kids, which no longer made it a cheap event, but was a lot of fun!

I was amazed at the differences in Austin since the last time I took him bowling. He doesn't like to use the bumpers, because he thinks that's too young for him. But that means that he gets some gutter balls. And that used to provoke tantrum behaviors, which is pretty embarrassing when it's a kid whose voice while having the tantrum is deeper than mom's voice. It was stressful, to say the least.

But yesterday, he handled his gutter balls with ease, and when he knocked down all pins but one for the 3rd time in a row, he didn't lose control... but joked that he must be cursed! I claimed that the pin must have glue on it, because it was the same pin each time. Finally, towards the end of our 2nd game, he finally knocked them all down! He was pleased, especially since Riley and I had already had strikes ourselves! Bowling was fun, relaxing, and enjoyable... like it's supposed to be with a 10 year old and a 13 year old!

Then he continued to shock me while we were in line to pick up Reece from camp. We like to listen to classic rock in the car. Austin's a huge fan of the music that I listened to as a young girl, and even the stuff that his Nana and Papa listened to. One of our favorites, is Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. It takes all sorts of twists and turns, or like I always say: it takes you on a musical journey. As the song began, I quickly whipped out whatever I could find to use as microphones (drinking straws, a toothbrush, a hairbrush - not sure what some of those were doing in my van but oh well! LOL), and we all started jamming along.

Including Austin. The guy who doesn't like to sing was singing at the top of his lungs! The guy who usually claims embarrassment when Riley and I break into random song was having a blast with both of us! It was pretty exciting not only from an autism standpoint but from a teenager standpoint! ;) How many teen boys do you know who wouldn't mind jamming in public with their mom and younger sister?

I told the kids that we needed to video ourselves doing it and putting it on YouTube! Maybe we'll work on that next week! For now, I leave you with the real version from Queen! :) Rock on!

3 comments:

Chef Penny said...

Woohoo! I love it when days like that come and breathe new wind into my sails! God is good all the time!

SHANNA said...

i love your blog! thanks for sharing. we had so much fun meeting ya'll at the bowling alley. i am very impressed how well your kids did.

The Glasers said...

I just love, love, love how Austin is learning to go with the flow and roll with the punches and enjoy letting loose on Bohemian Rhapsody . . .