Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekly Preview/Personal Milestones

This time of year is by far the busiest we experience at the Black Pearl Academy. Between April and May, we have baseball season in all its glory, the dance year for the girls culminating with a dance recital which involves the better part of two weekends, the homeschool convention, Mother's Day, and Austin's birthday (which is the big 13 this year!). We've had a particularly busy April this year, too. And May is shaping up to be even busier. To quote one of my all-time favorite movies, "This stuff (expletive replaced with something more family friendly) is going to get out of hand. It's going to get out of hand, and we'll be lucky to live through it!"

Last week we managed to accomplish a nice week of the basics in home education: language arts, math, history, science. We also had 2 baseball games, 4 dance classes, 2 baseball practices, 2 field trips, a curriculum sale, a church pancake breakfast/fundraiser, a minor league baseball game, and a Nascar race.

This coming week will include more of the basics of home education: language arts, math, history, science, and hopefully a return to Latin and Spanish. We have to also work around dance pictures for 4 classes, 2 ball practices, 2 baseball games, 1 field trip, and a homeschool convention.

It's a tricky thing being this busy. It's pretty stressful for the kids, which makes them feel anxious. But all in all, I think everyone is managing well though it. I've gotten good at knowing when to back off, when to push a little, and how to scaffold it so that THEY feel competent in telling me which one they need.

Now, as to the personal milestones, those are mine! On Tuesday, April 21st, I celebrated my 6th month anniversary of beginning my jogging program! That first day, I went out in my neighborhood and began with a 5 minute warm-up walk, and then alternated 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes total, then did a 5 minute cool-down walk. I came home red-faced and exhausted!

Six months and 4 days later, I went to the park and jogged for 60 minutes in a row - a WHOLE HOUR- without stopping! I was very, very close to 5.5 miles! MILES! It feels amazing - I feel strong and it gives me a wonderful sense of accomplishment. Most of the time, I don't really like the actual jogging part. But I LOVE the feeling when I'm done! :)

For my birthday a few weeks ago, I asked for some money to buy some new spring running gear. Here is what I ended up with: new Asics running shoes, Asics running socks, a black scooter with built-in shorts, a new sports bra, and a new sleeveless top.


I'm currently working on an intermediate training program which will hopefully get me ready for a 10K in the fall. I don't have a specific one in mind, just something nice and flat! LOL From there, I would like to build up to a half-marathon, and I'm waiting on a friend of mine (she knows who she is!) to let me know if we're going to run the Princess Half-Marathon at Disney World next March! :) I think it would be a good first one, because you're practically expected to walk portions of it because they have characters all along the route for photo ops! Plus, it's Disney!! What else could anyone want??

That's all from me for now! I hope everyone has a lovely week!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

You are amazing! Your accomplishments encourage me!

JamBerry said...

Wow! I read that and I'm ALMOST inspired to take up running--and then I remember my KNEES and decide I have legitimate reasons for NOT becoming a runner! But you go, girl!!

poohder said...

WAY COOL Jen Rhonda

Sadie said...

Great accomplishments!! (And I love the new outfit - you look so fit!)

The Glasers said...

Congratulations!!! I bet you can do a 10K, no sweat!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Jan said...

Great outfit!! I'm jealous! LOL!! I'll have to get something cute too if we're going to do the Princess 1/2, which I'm really leaning towards a yes!! :) Have fun tomorrow. I still haven't looked through my shopping list for next school year! UGH! I'm feeling so behind this time.

AOP said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.