Friday, January 09, 2009

Weekly review: 1/5-9

We had a very productive week filled with learning, and we all got back into the groove quite quickly. I will admit to being completely and utterly exhausted right now though! :) But in a good way!

I'm going to try to hit the highlights, but it's late and I have to be up early tomorrow, so I may forget some things!

Austin continued to read Poor Richard, and he moved to listening to Robinson Crusoe on CD while following along in the book. Our library has an unabridged version read by a man with a delightful English accent, which is much better than mom stumbling over the language! Plus it frees up my time. Riley began reading an abridged version of Pollyanna, having completed her entire reading list for 4th grade already. ::sigh:: I'm sort of letting her pick what she wants to read next, and I think she has determined to read Anne of Green Gables since I told her how much I liked it. Reece read 4 new Bob Book, beginning the 2nd level of them, and doing pretty well.

Reece learned her +1 facts, Riley learned about area and perimeter, and Austin finally figured out factoring!! HOORAY!

Austin reviewed Pattern 1 and 2 sentences with Jr. Analytical Grammar (Basic sentences with and without direct objects) and I was pleased to see that he didn't lose all of that over Christmas! Riley did some oral language lessons (lie/lay and sit/set).

Austin and Riley did narration and dictation this week, each doing famously in both areas. Writing With Ease was probably the best investment I made this year! I wish the next level would be ready this summer!

We reviewed Chapter 1 and 2 in Minimus Latin (yes, only the first two chapters... UGH!). It's such slow going and so frustrating for me. I don't think we'll be finishing this book this year. Spanish went much better, and we now have a 3rd active participant in our Spanish lessons! Reece now runs in the room for Spanish rather than crying and hiding! I don't know what prompted the change! We completed lesson 5, and I think we'll be able to move right along!

We listened to 2 history chapters and did map work about Charlemagne and the Frankish Empire. Science was magnets because I wanted a little more hands-on to start 2009 --- 5 minutes into it with the complaining and bickering, I wondered WHY I wanted more hands-on?

Character Trait is Diligence, Hymn is "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus"(I picked that one for me! LOL), Composer is Vivaldi, Artist is Van Gogh, and Poet is Emily Dickinson.

I know there are things I'm leaving out but I'm really sleepy! If I think of them tomorrow, I will come update! :)

3 comments:

poohder said...

Nifferco, I am EXTREMELY interested in Writing with Ease. Do you know where to find a site that I can look inside the book and understand the philosophy? Rhonda

SmrfChic said...

I am exhausted just reading your list!

Niffercoo said...

Rhonda, you can read all about it on the publisher's website: http://www.peacehillpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=111

There are samples on that webpage!

I'm going to email this to you, too, in case you don't check back in the comments, and I'll give you a few more details.