Thursday, January 01, 2009

Reading Challenge

Last year (2008), I decided to take part in the 8-8-8 Reading Challenge: read 8 books across 8 categories in 2008. Well, I didn't complete the challenge, but I did manage to read 33 books in 2008 (and some of those books, namely the Twilight Saga, were read more than once). To the best of my knowledge, that is the most books I've read in one year as an adult!

So even though I know I probably won't complete the list this year either, I went ahead and made a 9-9-9 list. It will help to keep me focused, and hopefully keep me motivated. One mistake I made last year was in putting too much non-fictional autism-related stuff on my list. This year I made more of a fun list, and I left blank spaces open for the books that will be recommended by my friends as the year progresses!

Niffercoo's 9-9-9 list!

For my book club: Bella's Bookshelf Selections

1. Animal Farm.

2. Kidnapped

3. Oliver Twist

4. Brave New World

5. Little Women

6. The Prince and the Pauper

7. Jane Eyre

8. To Kill a Mockingbird

9. Dracula

Improving my mind through extensive reading: Jane Austen written/related

1. Northanger Abbey

2. Unpublished (for now) JA-inspired novel written by my friend

3. Darcy's Story

4. Seducing Mr. Darcy

5. Sense & Sensibility

6. Mansfield Park

7. Emma

8. Twilight

9. Persuasion

Just for the Fun of It: Modern Fun Fiction

1. Confessions of a Shopaholic

2. Ella Minnow Pea

3. New Moon

4. Breaking Dawn

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

Enjoying Stories with the Kids: School Books/Read-Alouds

1. The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson #5 - May 1st)

2. Inkheart

3. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

4. Bedknob and Broomstick

5. Swallows and Amazons

6. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

7. A Wrinkle in Time

8.

9.

To Be Continued: My favorite series

1. Plum Spooky

2. Finger-Lickin' Fifteen

3. Twilight Saga Official Guide

4. Drums of Autumn

5. The Fiery Cross

6. A Breath of Snow and Ashes

7. An Echo in the Bone

8. Eclipse (1-1-09)

9. Anne of Avonlea

Maintaining my "Certification": Professional Development

1. When Children Love to Learn

2. Seizures and Epilepsy in Childhood

3. Original Homeschool Series, Vol. 3

4. Original Homeschool Series, Vol. 6

5. Apprenticeship in Thinking

6. Shepherding Your Child's Heart

7. Emotional Development: The Organization of Emotional Life In Early Years

8. Developing Through Relationships: Origins of Communication, Self and Culture

9. Lost at School

Receving my Acceptance to Hogwarts: Harry

1. Sorcerer's Stone

2. Chamber of Secrets

3. Prisoner of Azkaban

4. Goblet of Fire

5. Order of the Phoenix

6. Half-Blood Prince

7. Deathly Hallows

8. Tales of Beedle the Bard

9. Harry, a History

Nurturing my Faith: Religious Books

1. Believing God

2. Jesus, the One and Only

3. Finding God in Autism

4. Simply Christian

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

Entering the Wardrobe: Narnia

1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

2. The Horse and His Boy

3. Prince Caspian

4. Voyage of the Dawn Treader

5. The Silver Chair

6. The Last Battle

7. The Magician's Nephew

8. Further Up and Further In

9. The Keys to the Chronicles

No comments: