Thursday, January 22, 2009

Process, not product

Oops, I (almost) did it again...

It is amazing how quickly I can slip back into old habits again! I found myself adding "stuff" to our day that wasn't really necessary, because of my worries about standardized test scores. Because my mind was focusing on the product, the end results, rather than the process.

In my opinion, a Charlotte Mason education focuses on processes, on relationships (between people, between a child and his lessons, between a child and nature), and on the whole person (the child is a person). This is developmentally what my children (all of them, not just the ones on the spectrum) need and deserve in their education. I don't want to educate them to prepare them for jobs. I want to spark a fire of excitement about the world around them, so that they want to learn more about it, want to participate as fully in that world as they possibly can, and want to share that excitement with others!

Yet, it is such a hard concept for one like me, who is naturally drawn to results, box-checking, and the end product. I have to constantly remind myself what my goals TRULY are. And so I did! I put away Writing With Ease for now... we are still doing our narration, copywork, and dictation, of course, but I went back to the Scope and Sequence for language arts in the CM framework, and realized I was putting the cart ahead of the horse, and concerning myself more with the product (those pretty typed up 3 sentence narrations for their notebooks).

Austin and Riley are each narrating tomorrow on a book they are finishing up (Riley on Pollyanna, Austin on Poor Richard), and I'm anxious to hear them. Austin commented that he's "not very good with narrations" so I have a lot of work with him to get him back to understanding that he's really become a good narrator. He comes to me on his own to narrate these days, but I wonder if he even realizes that he's narrating. He probably thinks he's just telling me something interesting about what he's read. Which is... VOILA! Narration! LOL

We'll get to written narration next year... and composition in a few years. No need to panic. No need to rush to add something more until the opportune moment! ;)

5 comments:

m said...

WWHEW!! glad I'm not the only one who gets in those panics. I too realized I have to keep it slow and steady. My dd is too improving with the Charlotte Mason methods and have also decided against a writing program at this time. BTW, self realization and trust is more than half the battle, congrats! Rhonda

chandra said...

Thanks for the reminder. I too get ahead of myself and forget what my goals really are. I needed someone to wake me up and make me rethink again.

The Glasers said...

I agree assessment that Charlotte Mason focuses on relationships. I think it is awesome that you are so mindful of this!!!!!

Chef Penny said...

Glad to see that I am not the only one who struggles with this! Thanks for sharing with me! I am NOT addind Latin though! lol

Lisa said...

I love your description of the CM method!