Sunday, November 16, 2008

I WON!

In the wee hours of this morning, I passed 50,000 words on my novel, and became a NaNoWriMo winner on my first ever attempt!

Of course, no woman is an island, so I would like to thank my husband for his patience, encouragement, and help with meal preparation!

I would like to thank my kids for their patience during the times they would walk up to me with a question and I would hush them saying, "Shhh, I'm in the middle of a good scene."

I would like to thank my mom and friends for their support and interest in my project!

And I would like to add a very special thanks to Lisa, without whom this would not have been possible. I found out about NaNoWriMo because of Lisa. She did it last year and I got to be an "observer". She had so much fun that I couldn't help but be intrigued. Then this fall she kept bugging me about it, even after I had said there was NO WAY I was going to write a novel. Thanks, Lisa!!

One more quick thing about Lisa. This year, she bought the badges that are sold on the NaNo site which commemorate events that happen during the month. In this post on her blog you can see some examples.

I would like to give her, through my blog, another one. Here it is:

This badge is won when you help a fellow WriMo through a crisis point in their writing. On Friday night, with less than 1000 words to go, I didn't think I was going to be able to finish the story. I was in a panic. I was afraid that the story was terrible, and when I went back to edit it, I was going to hate it. I was afraid that anyone who read it would think it was absurd. I couldn't even open the file. I was afraid and I was stuck. I was so upset that I was in tears.

Lisa helped me through it, as only a writer can do. (I add that because my mom was also very encouraging, but I hadn't let on to my mom how terrified I was to continue the story. And besides, she's my mom so she's supposed to tell me how wonderful I am and how great my story will be! ROFL I still love you, mom!) But Lisa talked to me about the editing process as helping me rather than correcting me. I guess I had felt it would be like a punishment - let's find out all the places you did badly, rather than a chance to go back and fill in the places where the story was thin because I wasn't sure at the time where it was going to end up. And she reminded me that I don't have to let anyone read the story UNLESS/UNTIL I am ready!

With that encouragement both Friday and Saturday, I was able to resume the story and push through to 50K. I am excited about my story again, and can't wait to dive back into writing tonight! So Lisa, I wish I could give you the real badge, because you deserve it. But this will just have to do! Thank you, my friend, and WRITE ON!

4 comments:

SmrfChic said...

Congratulations!!!! :) I'd love to try next year, if I don't have such a busy load of classes!

The Glasers said...

Congratulations!!!!! I am so thrilled for you that you were able to press on through your moments of doubt and flustration!

Luke said...

Congratulations!

~Luke

argsmommy said...

Wow - that's amazing! I can't even get my laundry done, let alone write a novel! : ) Way to go!

Kellie