Sunday, October 19, 2008

Young Writers

I've mentioned before that I'm going to be writing a novel in November with NaNoWriMo. They offer a "Young Writers" program, and since Riley seems to be going through a writing phase, I decided to ask her if she would like to replace her regular Language Arts lessons in November with novel writing. She enthusiastically agreed!

Since Reece also likes writing/drawing stories, I am going to do this program with her as well, in a way she can feel successful. I'm going to have her draw a picture for her story every day, and then dictate the story to me while I write it.

What about Austin? Well, I think he would be great at writing a story, but he doesn't agree. He has told me he wants to think about it, which means "I don't think I can do it and I feel anxious and incompetent just thinking about it, but I don't want to tell you know because I know it would make you happy if I said I'd do it." I told him he doesn't have to let anyone read what he writes, and he could write about a boy with autism and epilepsy who grows up to be a baseball player who hits balls over the fence while racing cars in the off-season. ;)

In preparation, for the next two weeks, I'm going to give an overview of writing a novel for ALL the kids, using the Young Writers Workbook found on the website. We won't use it as a 'workbook', but more as a guide for discussion. If anyone wants to fill out any of the pages, I can print them off. This will also serve as preparation time for me, as I still don't know exactly what I want to write about!

I don't know if Austin will decide to write with us, or not, but there won't be any pressure from me (at least not intentionally). If nothing else, we'll all know more about what it means to write a novel before November starts up! :)

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

I love how you are handling this with your children. Letting the ones interested in trying to go for it, but not pressuring the ones who are not sure yet. You never know, maybe next year will be the year for Austin!!!