Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A house full of writers!

You'll never guess who has decided to write with us in November?? Everyone!! I was shocked yesterday during our "What makes a novel" lessons, when Austin announced that he was going to write. Well, first, he wanted to know what would happen if he didn't make his word count goal. I told him, "You have to go to public school!" He chuckled, then said, "No, really... what happens?" LOL

I told him that nothing happens... a goal is a goal and something to strive for, but it's personal. If you don't make it, then you just don't. You can keep working on it later if you want to, or you can choose to stop. It's not an assignment, it's just a fun thing to try. He asked what happens if he does make his goal. I told him I'd buy whoever made their goal a Young Writer's NaNaWriMo t-shirt! I probably should have checked the prices first... $17?!? Well, you know, if they make their goals, I'll be delighted to spend all that money on a shirt! It's a big deal!

Riley was thrilled to find out about the t-shirt thing! LOL She spent all of her rest time yesterday doing research for her novel, which she wants to have it set in ancient Egypt! Reece also wants to write a book, hers will be about Pink World! But it's not as surprising that she wants to write because she's always 'writing books'.

So he decided to write. Last night when I got home from running my errands, Austin was headed for bed. I asked him if he'd decided on a word count. He said he wasn't sure... I told him Riley had decided on 4,750. He immediately replied back with, "5500." Then we did some little knunckle-hand-shake-guy-thing, and he was off to bed!

To say I'm speechless is an understatement! I hope Austin has fun writing, and I hope it's a confidence-building exercise for him! I think it's going to be a creative and interesting month in November, for all of us! :)

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

How fun! November is going to be an interesting month for you all!