Friday, September 05, 2008

Weekly Review 9/1-9/5

This isn't going to be a very long review, because my mind has been so distracted this week with everything that we are dealing with with Austin. I know that we accomplished everything I had planned, but I can't exactly remember what that was! Here are a few highlights:
  • Riley took a spelling test today and got her first word wrong. She wasn't pleased. She still got an A/95%, and I bet she will spell field right from now on. I told her "I before E, except after C, or when sounding like A, as in neighbor and weigh." She glared at me and said, "You couldn't have told me that BEFORE I took the test?" ::shaking head:: Math is going very well for her, if she could only build up her speed. She is almost done with Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt.
  • Reece read her first Level 2 Real Kids Phonics Reader. It was a little more challenging, so we took it slowly. She is progressing nicely in math and spelling/phonics. I am reading The Boxcar Children to her now, and she loves it. She and Riley have been playing "orphans" under one of the trees in the front yard. Will try to get pics of it today!
  • Austin is working on equivalent fractions this week, and it's a bit trickier for him. He is doing pretty well with his spelling, and he's still reading The Golden Goblet. It's a challenging book for him.
  • We also did Bible, Scripture Memory, science, history, nature study, poet study, added a new hymn (Take My Life and Let It Be - our version is by Chris Tomlin), and a new character trait (Faith - how timely?!).
  • Austin resumed his Mind Bender puzzles and I was delighted when he said, "Oh I remember these! These are great!" We do them together with me talking them through out loud with him. Today he was able to tell me right away that the sentence, "Jack and the horse are good friends" lets us know that Jack cannot be the horse. We haven't done these since the spring, so I was very pleased!
We did not add Latin and Spanish as I had planned before. The shock of what we are dealing with, coupled with the amount of appointments we have coming up just didn't lend itself to putting more new stuff on the schedule. Riley did start her typing game and while she doesn't LOVE it (because it challenges her), she doesn't argue about doing it (because she has a competitive nature like her daddy!).

Hope you have a nice weekend! I'm going to be taking it easy! :)

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

You are amazing to accomplish what you do!