Thursday, September 25, 2008

Apples to apples!

Today we went with our homeschool group to go apple picking. This orchard is 8 miles from my house and I never knew it was there!! The older gentleman who owns it was very nice! We started off at the pear tree, which served to confuse Reece a great deal: "I thought we were going apple picking!" LOL

Riley is right next to the owner, holding the other picking stick contraption!

Here are the apple pickers! I don't think any of these are my children though! LOL We had 17 children in attendance. My camera was acting up, so I didn't get all of the shots I wanted. I took some video with my Flip, so maybe I can pull a picture or two from it later!
This is $10 worth of apples!! I wish I had known this place was so close to my home! We will definitely be going there again next year, earlier in the season.
Another shot of the apples... I'm just overwhelmed at the number of apples we got for the price!
The girls couldn't wait to dig in! I was really shocked, because they don't look as pretty as the ones from the grocery store or as big. Austin won't try one, yet, but I'm not going to push it!

I guess I ought to be googling 'apple recipes'! The girls really want apple pie... does anyone have a SIMPLE, yummy apple pie recipe to share? Simple as in put apples into a premade pie crust and bake? LOL

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Impossible French Apple Pie
(makes its own crust)

INGREDIENTS
* 6 cups tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 cup white sugar
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup biscuit mix (e.g. Bisquick)
* 2 eggs
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup biscuit mix (e.g. Bisquick)
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/3 cup light brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons butter


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch pie pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix apples, cinnamon and nutmeg together; turn mixture into pan. In a separate bowl, beat sugar, milk, 1/2 cup biscuit mix, eggs and butter until smooth. Pour over apples.
3. To Make Streusel: In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup biscuit mix, nuts, brown sugar and butter; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle streusel over top of pie.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes; bake until knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Impossible-French-Apple-Pie/Detail.aspx

Lisa said...

OK, here's my REAL apple pie recipe. This one has a crumb topping. I never make a pie with a top crust too, so if that's what you like, you'll have to keep looking. Sometimes this is called a Dutch Apple Pie.

Apple Crumb Pie

Cook Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients:

* 9-inch pastry shell, unbaked, chilled
* 1 cup sifted flour
* 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup soft butter
* 6 cups peeled, sliced cooking apples
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* vanilla ice cream

Preparation:
Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter; blend until crumbly then set aside. Combine apples, granulated sugar, and cinnamon; mix gently to coat apple slices. Pack apple mixture into chilled crust. Sprinkle crumb topping over apples. Bake in 375° oven until apples are tender, about 50 minutes.

Serve this apple pie with vanilla ice cream. (If you want, or whipped cream works too!)

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

gfcf? i do have one on my one blog.. setting of silver. also if you guys like apple sauce that is seriouly a great way to use up apples.

The Glasers said...

Looks like the girls were digging in happily without all the crust stuff! It almost makes me feel hungry . . . I can't believe I'm going to New Orleans with only half of my appetite intact! That's probably good for my waistline.

Heather said...

This has the flavor of an apple pie with less work. It is a PC recipe.

Quick Apple Crisp

5 apples cut up (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 package of yellow cake mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Peel, core, and slice apples and then cut the slices in half. Layer them in a deep pan. Melt butter in microwave and add cake mix, sugar and cinnamon. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples. Bake 35-40 min. or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.

JamBerry said...

make the applesauce and then use that to make fruit rollups (flavored with whatever other fruit you want to add).

Or dry the apple slices and enjoy them that way.

Or make fried apple pies--make an apple filling with the apples, sugar, cinnamon, etc (whatever you think would be good), then roll out a biscuit, put the apple filling inside, fold it over like a turnover pinching the edges, and fry them in butter in a skillet. I LOVE fried apple pies! Grandma would use her stash of dried apple slices to make the apple filling, btw. GOOD stuff!