Monday, July 14, 2008

What is Breaking Dawn? What Twilight series?

For Amy and Tammy's benefit, and anyone else who may have read my last blog post and scratched their heads in wonder, here is a bit more information about Twilight:

Last fall, I was looking for something new to read that would be light, fluffy, and not about autism. A book came highly recommended from the folks at the Well-Trained Mind message boards. It was called Twilight. All I knew about it was that it was young-adult fiction, a love story about a vampire. Being a huge vampire fan (my all-time favorite TV show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer), I figured it would fill my needs. I had to wait a few weeks for the library to get me a copy because there was a waiting list of over 75 people in line for the library's copies. I finally got it, and gulped it down. I posted about that here.

A few weeks later, I was able to get the 2 sequels, New Moon and Eclipse. I read those over a weekend, and posted about that here.

As soon as I finished those 2 books, in tears for both of them, I had to rush out and purchase them and read them all over again! I told everyone I knew about this series! I found the Twilight Lexicon, which is a message board and blog all about the book series. I don't post there, as I'm old enough to be most of the active participants' mom. I was encouraged to find out about the existence of Twilight Moms, where you have to be a married adult with children to participate. However, I don't need another message board, so I don't read there, I only use it's existence to reassure myself that I have not slipped into a second childhood. Additionally, there is the author's website (Stephenie Meyer). She herself is a mom and in her 30s like me, which is pretty cool! She has lots of background information about the stories, which I love!

Last winter there were 2 important announcements made: Twilight will be made into a movie, with a release date of December 12, 2008. And the final book in the series, Breaking Dawn, will be released on August 2, 2008.

It has seemed like a very long time to wait for the last book, and it's almost here! Borders will be hosting a midnight release party, like they did for the last Harry Potter book. My friend Sherry and I are going together, and we had t-shirts made for the event! They are black, with white and red writing (like the book covers). It reads:

Please feed the kids.
I'm reading Twilight again!

That is a reference to the fact that once you pick up a book in the Twilight series, you cannot put it down until you are finished. And sometimes your family gets a little neglected in the process! LOL It's not just me, either! That's a pretty common phenomenon among the moms that I've talked into reading the Twilight series. This time, my husband is prepared! LOL

So that's more than you ever wanted to know about Breaking Dawn, and Twilight! Let me know if there is anything more I can clear up! :)


No comments: