Friday, April 11, 2008

Take a hike

Today, I joined a 'new' homeschool group for their nature walk! I put new in parentheses because it may be a new group, but most of the members are old friends! It was like a trip down memory lane today, the only difference being the addition of new children and the old children are all so much bigger! There were 4 families, and 18 children ranging in age from 11-5 months.

Here are the members of the Black Pearl Academy, ready for the 2.2 mile walk. I packed our lunch, blanket, nature journals, binoculars, and field guides. I need a better system for this stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to pull a wagon, because then Reece thinks she should be able to ride! ;)
We found a little tiny turtle... can you see him in the middle of the picture?
Here's the turtle in the kids' hands! Riley begged me to take him home. I'm just not ready for a pet of any sort!
Then we saw a frog! He was a little bit bigger than the turtle. Nobody asked to take him home! LOL
Then the kids found another turtle while they were rolling down the hills!
It took nearly 3 hours to walk the 2 miles, but that was including stopping for a nice leisurely picnic lunch. For some reason, I am totally wiped out! :) It was a perfect day for a hike. The girls and I could have worn shorts, I think! I was wearing khaki capri pants and I was quite warm!

OK, off to rest up some more! I'll do the weekly review tomorrow.

3 comments:

MasterpieceMom said...

For your hikes maybe small backpacks or a tool belt/fanny pack kind of deal might work.

Just throwing out ideas! ;D

Lisa Quing said...

I would suggest backpacks and paring it WAY down. The turtle looks like a snapping turtle from the pic?

The Glasers said...

That little turtle is soooooo cute! What a beautiful day for a walk!