Thursday, April 24, 2008

Strawberry girls (and boy)

Today we hit the books early, and went to our favorite farm to pick strawberries! We do this every year about this time. These are the best strawberries I have ever tasted in my life!

Here are the girls in their row, just getting started:
Riley has learned that you really have to hunt in the middle of the rows for the best berries:
And Reece has learned to pick the RED berries, not the white ones, nor the flowers that will become berries:
Austin has become quite the expert at picking berries, too. He forgot to wear pants, though, so he had to do alot of stooping over:
Look at these berries! Don't they make your mouth water? My camera isn't the best, so you can't really see how wonderful they are. You'll have to trust me:
Riley shows off a big handful of juicy, ripe berries:
And here is our 'buckets are full' picture at the end of picking. It took less than 20 minutes to pick all of those. We will eat one bucket full, and I have the other bucket washed and cut and in the freezer to save for smoothies. I hope we can get back over to the farm again next week. I think I might like to try to make Strawberry Jam. I'm not sure if anyone would eat it, but it would be fun to try.
Reece couldn't wait to eat some berries! And if you look over to the left in the back of the picture...
... you'll see Riley couldn't even wait to get into the car before SHE started eating:
We were on our way home from the farm when we had a surprise in the road... 2 ducks (or they may be geese) and their babies: They are in the middle left of the picture, near the closer of the mailboxes (if you click on the picture to enlarge it, they are a bit easier to see):
Once they had safely crossed the road, we sped up to get a better picture, and to see where they were headed:
They were on their way to this little pond beside this house! We were so excited to see them. I had just read "Make Way for Ducklings" to Reece on Monday! She said she thought it was Mrs. Mallard and her ducklings! LOL

3 comments:

Lisa Quing said...

The strawberry picking looks fun! I hope to do that with my kids this year - in JUNE! lol Those look like Canada geese to me.

The Glasers said...

Watch where you step for those are Canada geese. Once you get over how cool they look, you tire quickly of them!

That looks like so much fun! I would have taken the kids to pick strawberries with me, but Pamela is all yucky and sniffly. She took two naps yesterday, and she never naps.

What are you going to do with yours? We are going to make gf/cf ice cream with some of them!

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

yum! i just read a post on "sparrows nest" about strawberries. i have to wait a few months...like JUNE as well;) last year Andrew HAD to pick in a certain row. which was not allowed...ARG. i even found a patch that did not spray! i may tackle again this year- we shall see... but definately will eat them