Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Good Plan indeed?

Last night my husband was at a gig, which left me with lots of time alone after the kids went to bed. I have a hard time sleeping when I know he is on the road. This is a pretty new thing, too, as he was on the road full-time when we got married. I don't remember having any trouble sleeping back then. Maybe I was more used to it when it happened all the time? Maybe it's being in Atlanta and the crazy drivers here?

Anyway, while I was up with nothing better to do, I took a look at our plans for next year, and at the Scope and Sequence I've tentatively set up for the future. I played around with it a bit (you have to love Excel for the ability to do all of this so easily!), trying to see if there was any way we could stay on the same time period in history and still accomplish the goals I have set out for us. I played around with 4-year rotations, 5-year rotations, 6-year rotations. I played around with American History next year, Ancient History next year, on and on. I even entertained the idea of having Austin read from one of the many history encyclopedias we own, while Riley listens to/reads SOTW.

In the end, I came to the conclusion that what I have planned out for us really is the best way to accomplish our goals! No, we're not going to be studying one period of history as a family. That really does make me sad, since it has been my ideal for so many years. But we have an unusual set of circumstances at the BPA, and sometimes you have to give up your ideal for what is practical and works out best for each of the children that you have.

I do find it somewhat ironic that I've got our school plans for next year all figured out by the middle of April for the first time ever, and this is the ONE year that I'm NOT going to the homeschool convention the first week of May. Figures, doesn't it? LOL

Oh, well! It's reassuring that I've finally come up with a plan that I can't top at midnight on a Saturday! It will be nice to spend this summer getting organized, and reading up on Charlotte Mason's techniques and philosophy, which is really more important than the specific books we'll use anyway!

If you've started planning for next year, how is it coming?

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

I love Excel!!!! Who needs ThinkBlocks when there's Excel?