Friday, March 28, 2008

We may begin now!

It's official... the Sonlight Curriculum catalog arrived in my mailbox today! This marks the official beginning of the homeschool planning season.

Each year since 2003, the Sonlight catalog has heralded the beginning of a new and exciting time for me: convention and planning. This year is probably a bit different as I know that I'm staying with Ambleside Online (more on that in our weekly review post later this afternoon) so I'm not scrambling to figure out "What Are We Doing Next Year?" I am excited to get the catalog, but I'm not feeling quite as desperate to make decisions before convention in May, as I usually am. In fact, I'm not even GOING to convention in May! Did I hear a collective gasp from my readers (all 6 of you lol).?

I'm wrapping up our 6th year of homeschooling by asking myself a different question than I have in years past. Instead of asking, "What curriculum can I use to teach my children?" I am asking myself, "What books, and curriculum, will help ME meet the goals I have for MY children?" I think it's somewhat similar to how it is for classroom teachers. I remember my mentor telling me during student teaching, "When you start out, you will want to stick closely to the teacher's manual because it gives you comfort and a plan when you are overwhelmed with everything else. As you gain experience and confidence, you will branch off from the teacher's manual and add to it and modify it. And then, soon, you'll find that you use the teacher's manual as a bookends for all of your cool resources!" Maybe I'm at the bookend stage?

I guess I do use a curriculum, since Ambleside is a pre-made list and schedule. However, I am not afraid to modify and deviate from it where I need to for the needs of my children.

So let the planning begin! :) Have fun everyone!

6 comments:

poohder said...

To ME, these catalogs and conventions feel exciting, but they usually just serve to OVERWHELM
me, Maybe I'll skip the convention too!

Niffercoo said...

That's exactly what they do to me, too, poohder. And I find I end up making rash decisions at the convention that I regret later. I do love going to the convention, as usually one of my best friends and I go and spend the night at a hotel and watch Pirates of the Caribbean and eat chocolate. So this year, we made other plans for convention weekend... and we're going to do the "POTC and Chocolate" evening another time! :)

Jan said...

LOL! I got my Sonlight catalog today, and thought these very same thoughts! : )

I think not going to the convention is going to do exactly as you just commented... not make rash decisions this year (or over spend).

Good for us! LOL! : )

Have a great weekend!

JamBerry said...

I got my SL catalog too, but we're only half way through the 2 yr plan of core 4, so, no ordering for me til sometime in the fall. Then we'll just roll into Core 5. :)

And I've never been to a homeschool convention. Probably a good thing!

We should have a non-convention convention!!

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

I got my SL catalog too! we already had our local convention and i had made a list from SCM bookfinder and other sources....and they had almost nothing there...and I spent WAY to much money on crapola!! good for you;) I haven't opened SL but am sure i will...

and i'm w/ jamberry- lets have a non-convention...

Alison said...

They overwhelm me for sure... I've never even BEEN to a convention though..LOL.

Hey Jenn if you see me online IM me...