Friday, March 21, 2008

RDI plans for Reece

This appointment was a very productive one! We reviewed some of the video from RDA 3 and 5, and then discussed new objectives for Reece and for us as parents.

We started off by viewing examples of the huge progress Reece has made in the areas of flexibility and resilience. There were only 2-3 times where she had gone back to her 'old' ways of dealing with feeling incompetent: crying, negative self-talk, and disengaging. But unlike the old times, she was anxious to re-engage, and she would be somewhat more flexible in order to do that!

I'm going to attempt to narrate our objectives, to help my recall:

1. The child objective involves developing an awareness that other people have differing emotions about smells, sights, sounds, textures. We are wanting her to be able to initiate a conversation about this. For example, in one of her RDAs, she said to me (unprompted), "This one right here is my favorite." When she masters this objective, she would then turn to me and ask (again, unprompted), "Which one do you like best, mom?" It obviously doesn't have to be those exact words, but just the recognition that I may have a different like or dislike than she does.

2. The first parent objective involves journaling about events, both good and bad, as they apply to our progress. This one will be fairly simple, as I'm used to doing that with blogging. It will just be more specific to RDI.

3. The second parent objective is a bit trickier for me to understand. It involves being able to recognize and distinguish between different types of dynamic gaze. Dynamic gaze is a fancy word for looking. I'm pretty confused about these different types of dynamic gaze, so for now, I'm just supposed to be looking for examples of a "thinking" gaze. We came up with a catch phrase for it of "Whatcha looking at?" Not very fancy, but hopefully it will help me remember it. I can be looking for it in Reece, or any of the children.

We'll be working on these objectives for the next couple of weeks, and then we'll go back and discuss new objectives for Austin. He's become my tricky one, as a surge of adolescent hormones have turned him into a grumbling guy who wants very little to do with mom (picture that word mom being said with rolling eyes). Thankfully, my CIT is also the parent of a teen boy with AS, so she knows of what I speak! LOL She will be able to help me figure out how to get him to want be an apprentice at just the age his body is telling him to separate from me.

Now it's time to get back into the groove of submitting our videos!

No comments: