Monday, March 17, 2008

Praises and Prayers

1. Reece did very well tonight at choir! They are practicing for the program in the big church, so they are in the old 'chapel' on the stage on risers going through the entire program. I counted tonight and there were 72 children! She was up on the stage on the risers, without me being on stage with her! There are 3-4 more practice sessions like this before the program, so we'll see if she actually does the show! For me, I already think she's done an amazing job and I'm proud of her regardless.

2. I've been feeling the stress this weekend. I've been wanting to separate Austin and Riley out completely in their academics, to eliminate the competition between them. It's not solely about the competition, but also about helping Austin to feel more competent while his younger sister sails past him. It's just not as simple as it sounds. I was wanting to keep them in the same history period, but I'm having a hard time finding history spines for him. In the meantime, I have been feeling paralyzed. I realize that I need to pray over this more. I have spent hours, literally, researching. It's frustrating and exhausting and stressful. And it's getting me nowhere. So I'm just going to keep moving forward, and pray that the Lord will lead me in this decision. We're going to continue on with Year 3 of Ambleside, as written, while I wait for some direction.

3. Baseball season begins tomorrow and I'm going to have to miss the beginning of the first game because it conflicts with picking up Riley from dance class. I feel terrible about it, and therefore, stressed. I just cannot get used to having to put aside one child for another. I'm an only! My mom never had to do that to me. Nothing was ever more pressing than what I needed. I can't imagine her missing my first anything. I know it's not his first first game, but it is the first game of this season. I haven't asked if he's starting pitcher or not. I'm afraid to know.

4. I am still working hard to TRUST in the Lord. It's exactly times like these when I get stressed and overwhelmed that I tend to want to start trying to take control. Hmmm, does that sound anything like what we learn about in RDI with our children on the spectrum? When they are feeling a lack of competence in a MESSI world ("MESSI" stands for Multiple,
Emotional, Simultaneous, Surprising, and Imperfect!), they tend to try to control the world around them and fall back on routine and imposing their own rules and order, rather than look to a guide/mentor to lead them through the confusion. It helps me to remember that I need to look to MY guide... Jesus! But it certainly isn't easy... I'm stuck in stage 1! ;)

5. That reminds me... Reece had the last part of her RDA on Friday, and SHE is doing much better in her role as an apprentice than I am! :) We colored eggs, which is something we never do at home. It has nothing to do with being afraid to attempt a messy activity or not being crafty. It has everything to do with the fact that I am apparently incapable of making hard-boiled eggs! LOL For some reason, they never turn out right. Anyway, during the process, she knocked over the yellow dye cup and it spilled all over. She didn't meltdown, or try to run and hide. We poured what we could of the dye back into the cup, and kept on going. Also, we were able to add color back to her activities. We had to stop this back in the fall as she was obsessing over rainbows and if she couldn't make rainbows, she would have a meltdown! I keep meaning to post a video of that, now that she's over that stage! LOL

So anyway, the RDA is over, and our planning meeting is coming up this Friday. I feel like we and the kids have made excellent progress! :) I am ready to re-focus and see where we are headed next! Of course that reminds me that I have a ton of e-learning modules and webinars to watch on the RDI OS, too!

OK, deep breath... trust in the Lord... get some sleep! Hope everyone has a lovely week, and I'll be posting pics and video of baseball over the next day or two! :)

5 comments:

poohder said...

Of course I know you know that it will all work out so, CHILL GIRL!!
Anyway, here's a thought, how about using a spine you already have and just use it to get ideas for real books for Austin to read throughout the year. It could be a more comprehensive study of a few periods of history or countries or cultures and you could let him choose which ones he's interested in! You could say that as students get older, they get more choice than younger children or something like that. Sort of like, middle school gets to choose a few of their electives type of thing? Hope that sparks some ideas Rhonda

Lisa Quing said...

It's actually healthy for kids to realize they are not the center of all attention. Austin will be fine - as long as you aren't saying - oh I am so sorry I will miss (hadn't missed, shouldn't have missed) your first game of the season. Kwim?

Trust is hard, isn't it?

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”
(Isaiah 30:21, NIV)

got this in my daily Children of Destiny.... praying for that as you figure out currics. I research and research too- and then have to fall on God to light that narrow path!

The Glasers said...

I love that you can add color back into your activities! What a huge step!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, is this blog for real? I didn't think there actually were Americans like this, I thought it was just a stereotype. You're messed up. Pray for me...