Friday, February 29, 2008

Weekly Review: 2/25-29

Another week has gone by already! And it's the end of February on top of it! It's amazing to me how fast time seems to go as I get older. :)

This week marks our last week of school until "PreSpring Break". Next week we are off school for two reasons: Monday is Reece's 6th birthday, and Tuesday evening I am leaving for a trip to Disneyworld with my mom! We never have school on birthdays at the Black Pearl Academy! And besides, I am much to distracted with anticipation of my trip with my mom! She and I are going to celebrate our birthdays --- hers was this past week, and mine will be the first week of April. She and I are going alone and while we're there we will have breakfast with Cinderella in the castle, attend the Pirate and Princess Party, and watch an Atlanta Braves spring training game. It is SO exciting! I've been looking forward to this trip for months, and now that it is upon us, I can't concentrate on anything else! LOL

OK, looking back on our school week:

Reece finished the last of the Calvert Early Phonics Readers! She was so excited, and I'm so proud of her. I took our traditional picture of "finishing your first set of reading books" and she is holding her favorite of the books, Jam.

Riley finished Understood Betsy before I did, so I haven't been able to have her narrate to me! LOL It is a book she really enjoyed, and I know I am enjoying it! Austin is still reading The Princess and Curdie.

Austin took the test for the last long division lesson in MUS Delta and got a B! HOOORAY!! There are 5 more lessons in the book, but they are simple and we should be able to sail through them quickly. Then it's on to fractions! Riley finished her Singapore Math workbook and will begin 3B when we get back from vacation. Reece is still loving MUS Primer, so I'm leaning towards keeping her in MUS. Why mess with something that seems to be working?!

Riley started First Start French. It is set up just like the Latina Christiana series. We will see how it works out for her. I am having her take 2 weeks per lesson, as I plan to add Latin back in August. Austin is reviewing Spanish with La Clase Divertida 1. Reece listens in on everyone, so she can throw a French or Spanish word at you! LOL

Our Ambleside Year 3 lessons this week involved Guy Fawkes in England and John Smith in the "New World". We also started listening to a story version of "The Taming of the Shrew", and I'm reading "The Children of the New Forest" aloud. For Geography, the kids are reading Tree in the Trail by Holling C. Holling to themselves.

Our human body study is wrapping up. This week we studied the heart and Cardiovascular system. The kids added the heart to their body models. We only have the brain and senses left and we're done! We're starting the Apologia Elementary Astronomy book, and Riley asked if we were going to do models of the solar system like we did a model of the body! I guess that's what I'll be researching when I get home! I was considering having the girls do a lapbook kit from Homeschool Estore, but I know that is not something Austin would enjoy. So I'm not exactly sure what we will do to make it exciting. I do know that the kids have thoroughly enjoyed making this body model! I will post pictures of them when we are finished!

We read the first Spiderwick Chronicles book this week. It was enjoyable, but nothing that makes me yearn to read the rest of them! I don't think I will take Reece to the movie, though. Judging from the book, and knowing her, I don't think she could handle it. Yeah, I know she's seen Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter, but the latter she hasn't seen at the theater. Maybe she could see Spiderwick on DVD? I'll have to think on it some more!

That's about all I can think of right now! It's too hard for my brain to focus on anything but Disney, and now that I've mentioned POTC, it's hopeless! LOL

I'll be putting pics and video up on Reece's birthday on Monday... so be sure to check back!

No comments: